Checking train of thought.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redpappy

Reaction score
I’m fermenting a sweet stout with s-04 yeast. Temp range is 59f - 75f. My basement ranges from 59f-61f depending on if I am using electric heat or not(roughly 16 hours the temp will be 59F) I do not have any temp control for fermentation.
My thought is that when fermentation starts it should keep the temps up at least 3 degrees, so basically lowest point will be 62F. I’m wanting to ferment a little bit higher on my temps, so I am thinking that if I wrap the fermenter in a blanket I should get at least 1 degree higher( blanket is not wrapped tight).

is my thought correct on the blanket correct?

Any reason you can't bring it upstairs where it's a little warmer? I think 68 degrees is the sweet spot.

That’s an ideal temp for So4. You ideally want to keep it cold for the first two day’s or so of fermentation. When you start to see activity slow then bring it somewhere warm. S04 ferments fine down at 59 and will produce a much cleaner profile below 64 than above.

Don't count too much on the yeast raising the temp very much. Cool temps slow the yeast activity and they don't get very warm then as opposed to being a bit too warm where they get really active and raise the temp quite a bit. When I use S-04 in a 62 degree room, no other temp control, my fermenter only gets to 64.

Back