Checking in from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from Sandy! I know there are at least two brewers here in Sandy..me and the guy that brewed my first batch with me. I just found Art's place and I concur with the grumpy yet has the larger selection opinion. I can deal with grumpy, but bad advise about brewing at a brew store...that is just bull****. Art charges $3 per oz. of hops; the last time I went to the Beernut, they charged my $4 per oz. of cascade. Anyway, I would be up for some bulk purchases of grain. I think morebeer.com or Northern brewer has sack pricing and if you buy 4 or more 55# sacks at a time, the price gets better. I also think it would be cool to get together sometime and share some brews.
Art does have cheaper hops but he kills you on the specialty malts. He doesn't charge like the Beernut does for 1/2 lb. of chocolate malt. He'll charge like a $1.25 for 1/4 lb. instead of just charging 1/4 of the 1 lb. price. He knows extract brewing but I don't think he knows much about AG. He bitched at my last time I was there about how I was using his grain mill. I was grinding 13 lbs of grain and he wanted me to keep nursing the drill instead of just locking the trigger and letting it go. It pissed me off.

I am amazed he said anything about his drill; by the look shop, I didn't think he gave a damn about his stuff. The glass carboys for sale have a 1/2 inch thick layer of dust on them. So, after comparison, was the Beer Nut cheaper?

I am amazed he said anything about his drill; by the look shop, I didn't think he gave a damn about his stuff. The glass carboys for sale have a 1/2 inch thick layer of dust on them. So, after comparison, was the Beer Nut cheaper?
I think it's sixes. Anyway, I get all my questions answered in forums like this anyway so I don't really need advice from Art or anyone at the Beernut. I guess I just like the Beernut better. I'll buy hops from Art once I start buying my grain in bulk since the Beernut won't sell you hops if you don't buy the grain from them. He's cheaper on stuff like bottle caps and stuff like that also but we're only talking a few cents here and there anyway. I usually buy my brew stuff on Sundays and Art is closed on Sundays so I guess you can tell where I'll be going.

I just took another look at this thread I suggested doing a bulk buy, I am still interested, anybody else. I am leaning toward Marris Otter but could be persuaded to use something else. I'll be needing wheat soon I also go through a lot of Munich and Vienna.

Never been to Arts and rarely even visit Beer nut because I live up in Ogden. I go to G3 sounds like their prices are competitive.

I just took another look at this thread I suggested doing a bulk buy, I am still interested, anybody else. I am leaning toward Marris Otter but could be persuaded to use something else. I'll be needing wheat soon I also go through a lot of Munich and Vienna.

Never been to Arts and rarely even visit Beer nut because I live up in Ogden. I go to G3 sounds like their prices are competitive.
Maybe...I've got two batches fermenting right now that I made with MO. Never used it before. If I like it I might be interested. I'd like to buy some Belgian pale malt to make some strong Belgian ales. I think Art has pretty cheap bulk grain. He only wanted $40 for a 55 lb. bag of Great Western 2 row.

At The Beer Nut Jamie is the only one who really knows what she is talking about but she isn't there half the time. But what she knows pails in comparison to what Art does. His shop has been around for over 20 years and he has a MUCH bigger selection and yes cheaper hops.

Washington St. is a small little alley/street that runs north/south in between 6 and 7th and 2nd and 3rd west. So if your coming from Draper it's actually faster to get to from the freeway. Just take I-15 to the 6th south exit and once you pass 300 west (which is right off the exit) turn right onto Washington and his shop is on the right hand side halfway down.

Bump for Art @ his brew shop. He's got a ton of stuff, and is always right there if you need any help. As I'm heading out the door, he always insists that I should call him if I run into any problems or if I need any help. He's got some bitterness for sure, but he's helpful.

Ha! I went there after work. He does know his stuff. I met the brewmaster for Uintah Brewing while I was there and he said he'd show me around the brewery if I came by while he was working. Very cool!....

I feel like a dope for chiming into this so late...oops! I went down to Uinta brewing and asked at the bar for a tour...no problem at all! He also mentioned that most of the guys at their shop learned how to brew from Art as well, plus they had some of his catalogs next to the CityWeekly papers.

I feel like a dope for chiming into this so late...oops! I went down to Uinta brewing and asked at the bar for a tour...no problem at all! He also mentioned that most of the guys at their shop learned how to brew from Art as well, plus they had some of his catalogs next to the CityWeekly papers.

That is pretty cool. I don't know...Art is always harping on the Beer Nut and every time I go in there he says things like, "I'm not an Ogre but..." or "I'm not trying to be an *******, but....". To me, he does seem grouchy ALL THE TIME. The only other problem I see is that every time I am in there, he has people waiting for something. Either their cornies have leaked and wants Art to fix them as promised or another problem similar. It is far easier to get in and out of the Beer Nut.

That said, I will use Art at least one more time to give him a fair shot at my business.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: It seem we have quite a few Utah brewers in this forum. I would love it if some people would join the "Utah Brewers" Group on this forum and maybe we can get together for tastings or brew days every once and a while. I would love some opinions on my brew as I want to start entering competitions.

That is pretty cool. I don't know...Art is always harping on the Beer Nut and every time I go in there he says things like, "I'm not an Ogre but..." or "I'm not trying to be an *******, but....". To me, he does seem grouchy ALL THE TIME. The only other problem I see is that every time I am in there, he has people waiting for something. Either their cornies have leaked and wants Art to fix them as promised or another problem similar. It is far easier to get in and out of the Beer Nut.

That said, I will use Art at least one more time to give him a fair shot at my business.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: It seem we have quite a few Utah brewers in this forum. I would love it if some people would join the "Utah Brewers" Group on this forum and maybe we can get together for tastings or brew days every once and a while. I would love some opinions on my brew as I want to start entering competitions.
How do you join the Utah Brewer's group on the forum? I didn't know one existed!

All the Utard brewers ought to join the Utah Brewer's group. I know there are more than we have members right now!!! What's everytbody brewing this weekend? I'm bottling a pale ale and goofing around with culturing some Unibroue yeast from two bottles of La Fin Du Monde. I did that with a couple Rogue IPAs last week and I plan on doing a Yellow Snow IPA clone next weekend once I get a huge starter going. I'm going to do the same with the La Fin Du Monde.

I'm not brewing this weekend...took a spontaneous trip to San Fran last night. I did, however have my first lagunitas IPA...holy taste buds! That thing was loaded with hops. Anyway, if there is a beer thing I've got to do while here, post it! Tonight we are going to the 21st Amendment to try there famous watermelon wheat.

I've got 4 gallons five days away from bottling, but haven't started a new batch yet...probably wont until the superbowl. I'm thinking how long I can stretch the WhiteLabs 810 yeast I got back in December after harvesting and reharvesting...

Any ideas for what's next?

That is the Steam beer yeast, correct? I have never heard of using it for anything else. Maybe just put it in the fridge for a couple more months until you are ready to make another Cali. Common.

I'm doing a Tripel next. I started culturing the yeast from two bottles of La Fin du Monde yesterday. Bottling an IPA today.

Back