Checking in from Utah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayInUT

Reaction score
I've been brewing almost a year. I did two extract batches and jumped into all grain. I love brewing and I love my beer!

Welcome.
What kit do you use?
No kit. I made a lautertun, use a bayou burner, my neighbor's wort chiller and 15 gal kettle. I just use grain and make starters from the yeast at the bottom of bottle conditioned brew. I've been reading on HBT for a long time but finally decided to log in.

Hi and welcome to HBT. What have you brewed so far?
Celis Wit all grain
Belgian Tripel - extract
Kolsch - extract
Ray Daniel's Dangerously Delicious Dunkelweizen all grain
Blueberry Wit
Ballantine XXX clone all grain
Paulaner Hefe clone all grain
Changed Daniel's DDD to a honey orange hefe by not using choco malt and added four pounds of honey and two cups of homemade orange extract, split into two batches (it started as a ten gal batch) and fermented one with Dry Ale yeast, the other with some Weihenstephen I cutlured from a previous atch of dunkel. I've made several batches of some of these. The dunkel and the Ballantine XXX are awesome!

Also mead, Apfelwein, and cider. I did about fifteen gallons of cider and twenty gallons of beer in September!

Better luck tomorrow morning,

Hi and welcome.

Thanks but I'm not waiting til tomorrow! The coffee was damn good though. Sumatra from Beans and Brew. They roast good coffee beans! I pity those in Utah that have never tasted it!

Hey Ray Welcome to the forum. Where in Utah are you from?? I'm up in Ogden. We are starting up a homebrew club up here for all those who are interested.

I'm in Draper. Ogden's a long drive. Too far even for beer. There is an HBS up there that I want to check out sometime. It looks nice on the web.

Hey, it's a criminal Utahian Brewer!!!:D Welcome you scofflaw!

I just heard the legalization bill made it through one more committee...so you may no longer be a criminal by early next year.

:mug:

Hey, it's a criminal Utahian Brewer!!!:D Welcome you scofflaw!

I just heard the legalization bill made it through one more committee...so you may no longer be a criminal by early next year.

:mug:
Wouldn't that take some of the fun out of it though? My great grandmother supported the family during prohibition selling bathtub gin in Western NY.

Hey! I'm out in South Salt Lake!
The Beer Nut on State street has been taking very good care of us... and our beer has been taking care of us!

do you ski?

Used to ski a lot. Haven't so much since I moved to Utah...go figure. The Beernut is a good place. I think I'm going to start buying my grain in bulk though to save money. The dunkel I brewed on Thanksgivng cost me $35 in grains and I didn't buy any yeast. I recultured my yeast from some old bottles from the last batch.

Wondering if there would be enough interest in bulk grain purchase in Utah. I am going to run it by our brew club members. Anyone else in Utah interested??
I'm spending 60+ average per 10 gal batch

I'd be in for a bulk grain purchase. I do a lot of wheat beers so I'd probably be inclined towards a six row but I suppose a two row would be okay too. I do five pounds of six row and six poundsof wheat in my dunkel along with two pounds of Munich and 1/4 pound of chocolate malt. I've got some to rack into secondary tomorrow. How about sharing yeasts? That would be a REAL money saver. I like the weihenstephan (3068) for my hefes. If anyone wants some, I should have it washed in a day or two.

Hey! I'm out in South Salt Lake!
The Beer Nut on State street has been taking very good care of us... and our beer has been taking care of us!

do you ski?

I used to go to the Beer Nut as well but now go to Art's Brewing Supplies 642 s. Washington St. in Downtown Salt Lake. He is SOOOO much cheaper then Beer Nut, WAYYY bigger selection WAYYYYY more knowledgeable and helpful. You should seriously check his store out you wont be sorry. He has a website as well ART'S BREWING SUPPLIES

Howdy from Pleasant grove! I just started brewing a few months ago, got a few batches done and a keg in the fridge. If you utah people ever have a get together let me know!

I used to go to the Beer Nut as well but now go to Art's Brewing Supplies 642 s. Washington St. in Downtown Salt Lake. He is SOOOO much cheaper then Beer Nut, WAYYY bigger selection WAYYYYY more knowledgeable and helpful. You should seriously check his store out you wont be sorry. He has a website as well ART'S BREWING SUPPLIES
Where is Washington Street? I live in Draper but go to the Beernut just because I know where it is. Actually, Jamie is pretty helpful. Are the hops much cheaper at Art's? That's where the Beernut kills me. The IPA that I make has about fifteen dollars of grain in it but the hops cost me another twelve! I use two and a half ounces of cascape and one ounce of nugget!

Howdy from Pleasant grove! I just started brewing a few months ago, got a few batches done and a keg in the fridge. If you utah people ever have a get together let me know!

Wassup! Maybe if they make it legal here some day we can have a big festival. Maybe if they legalize prostitution then we could invite hookers too! We'll, I'm skeptical that either will happen anytime soon in Utah but it was a fun thought for a second!

Where is Washington Street? I live in Draper but go to the Beernut just because I know where it is. Actually, Jamie is pretty helpful. Are the hops much cheaper at Art's? That's where the Beernut kills me. The IPA that I make has about fifteen dollars of grain in it but the hops cost me another twelve! I use two and a half ounces of cascape and one ounce of nugget!

At The Beer Nut Jamie is the only one who really knows what she is talking about but she isn't there half the time. But what she knows pails in comparison to what Art does. His shop has been around for over 20 years and he has a MUCH bigger selection and yes cheaper hops.

Washington St. is a small little alley/street that runs north/south in between 6 and 7th and 2nd and 3rd west. So if your coming from Draper it's actually faster to get to from the freeway. Just take I-15 to the 6th south exit and once you pass 300 west (which is right off the exit) turn right onto Washington and his shop is on the right hand side halfway down.

At The Beer Nut Jamie is the only one who really knows what she is talking about but she isn't there half the time. But what she knows pails in comparison to what Art does. His shop has been around for over 20 years and he has a MUCH bigger selection and yes cheaper hops.

Washington St. is a small little alley/street that runs north/south in between 6 and 7th and 2nd and 3rd west. So if your coming from Draper it's actually faster to get to from the freeway. Just take I-15 to the 6th south exit and once you pass 300 west (which is right off the exit) turn right onto Washington and his shop is on the right hand side halfway down.
One of the guys at the Beernut told me that I couldn't repitch yeast from one batch to the next. Funny, that is the way I do most of my batches and it seems to work fine. I even make a starter using the dregs from the bottom of a few bottles of my beer so I don't have to by more liquid yeast at $8.00 a vial. I've used bottles that have been sitting around for months. I just did that with a dunkelweizen and I think it started faster than when I originally pitched the first batch months ago. Has anyone had problems doing that? It seems easier than trying to store yeast that I've washed.

One of the guys at the Beernut told me that I couldn't repitch yeast from one batch to the next. Funny, that is the way I do most of my batches and it seems to work fine. I even make a starter using the dregs from the bottom of a few bottles of my beer so I don't have to by more liquid yeast at $8.00 a vial. I've used bottles that have been sitting around for months. I just did that with a dunkelweizen and I think it started faster than when I originally pitched the first batch months ago. Has anyone had problems doing that? It seems easier than trying to store yeast that I've washed.

That is another reason why i switched to Arts, i'm still somewhat new to this, about a year and 24 batches or so. I learned about re-pitching yeast from threads on here and talked to the guys down at the beer nut about it. They told me i couldn't do that and wouldn't help me with it. Art sat me down the first time i went into his store and told me step by step how to do it, i hadn't even purchased anything yet. It was just free advice.

That is another reason why i switched to Arts, i'm still somewhat new to this, about a year and 24 batches or so. I learned about re-pitching yeast from threads on here and talked to the guys down at the beer nut about it. They told me i couldn't do that and wouldn't help me with it. Art sat me down the first time i went into his store and told me step by step how to do it, i hadn't even purchased anything yet. It was just free advice.
Two really good books are "How to Brew" and "Designing Great Beers". I've learned everything from those two books and this website. A friend taught me to do my first batch but he is still doing extract and I've moved on to all grain. I might go to Art's this afternoon and check it out.

I went up to Art's today before work and I gotta say im very impressed. Tons of selection, awesome prices and Art really knows his stuff. in the 20 min i talked to him it was very obvious to me that this is a guy who has been brewing for a very long time. Right now he has used corny kegs for 25 bucks a peice. He says he has like 500 of them. He sells rebuild items for them (12 bucks a kit which puts your total at 37 bucks. cheapest ive found them anywhere else was 50.) He also garentees them after they are rebuilt. If it leaks bring it back and swap it out. His prices are pretty cheap on everything I looked at. I would definately recommend this shop. Very impressed.

I went up to Art's today before work and I gotta say im very impressed. Tons of selection, awesome prices and Art really knows his stuff. in the 20 min i talked to him it was very obvious to me that this is a guy who has been brewing for a very long time. Right now he has used corny kegs for 25 bucks a peice. He says he has like 500 of them. He sells rebuild items for them (12 bucks a kit which puts your total at 37 bucks. cheapest ive found them anywhere else was 50.) He also garentees them after they are rebuilt. If it leaks bring it back and swap it out. His prices are pretty cheap on everything I looked at. I would definately recommend this shop. Very impressed.
Ha! I went there after work. He does know his stuff. I met the brewmaster for Uintah Brewing while I was there and he said he'd show me around the brewery if I came by while he was working. Very cool! His grain prices were good but he does charge more if you only get a half pound or a QP like of chocolate malt or something which could add up and take away from the other low prices. I think a QP of chocolate malt was $1.00 intead of just being a quarter of the 1 pound price. I don't like that but I would definately shop there. His grain selection seemed pretty good and if you are an extract brewer (I'm not) he seemed to have a much better selection of extracts than the Beernut. Overall, It was a great place and easy to get to once you find it. Much easier than driving up 13th East in the lae afternoon. Who is up for a bulk grain purchase? I could go for 27 pounds of 2 row in a week or two.

Yeah, I'm in UT. I'm looking to buy a couple to few 55# bags of malt if the price is right. Anyone know what ART charges for a simple 2 row bag compared to beer nut?

Yeah, I'm in UT. I'm looking to buy a couple to few 55# bags of malt if the price is right. Anyone know what ART charges for a simple 2 row bag compared to beer nut?
Art charges $40 or $45 for a ag of Great Western 2 row. I decided I like the Beernut better though. Art's kind of a bitter old dick.

Art's kind of a bitter old dick.

I'm feeling the same way, the last couple times i went in there i felt uncomfortable because he was in a pissy mood. I'm torn because the guys at the nut are young guys that don't know half of what they are doing. They have given me and my friends bad advice on several occasions and that's if they even give you any advice. They really don't know what they are doing (except for Jamie), they simply haven't been doing it long enough. Art knows his stuff, wont steer you wrong, has the cheapest and largest collection of kegs and kegging supplies then anywhere else in town and even online. However he is a cranky old bastard and it's starting to make me want to go elsewhere.

He had all kinds of assault rifle catalogs on his desk last time I was there. I don't think there is anything wrong with guns and I have more than a couple; however, maybe Art shouldn't. He's pretty nutty and likes to ***** about the Beernut. He was ranting about it when I was in there. Oh well...just finished brewing an IPA. I started late and didn't finish up until 1:45am. Typical though. Should be good with nine lbs. of Maris Otter, one pound of English crisp medium malt and one pound of american two row. I finished with a gravity of 68 which is about what I was shooting for. I think I hit about 83% efficiency. Does anyone know if my math is right? If so, that is pretty good for me. Ususally I'm in the low seventies.

Hello from Sandy! I know there are at least two brewers here in Sandy..me and the guy that brewed my first batch with me. I just found Art's place and I concur with the grumpy yet has the larger selection opinion. I can deal with grumpy, but bad advise about brewing at a brew store...that is just bull****. Art charges $3 per oz. of hops; the last time I went to the Beernut, they charged my $4 per oz. of cascade. Anyway, I would be up for some bulk purchases of grain. I think morebeer.com or Northern brewer has sack pricing and if you buy 4 or more 55# sacks at a time, the price gets better. I also think it would be cool to get together sometime and share some brews.

Hello from Carbon County... the rebel county of the state. Brewed about 12 batches over the past 8 years but still consider myself a newbie. Love the porter...
Lets pound em.

Back