Checked gravity thought if was done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellardwellerbrewer

Reaction score
Brewed a stout on 8/28. OG was 1.055 yeast is S-04 krausen dropped no airlock activity after 10 days so I checked gravity it was 1.014. Went to check it next day and it looks like it started up again so I left it, next morning airlock is bubbling. Wth. Has this happened to anyone and is this a s-04 thing?

Did you raise the temp? Could be degassing. But it could be just doing some clean up as well. 1.014 is a little high with a 1.055 OG but its not unheard of. I think you're probably pretty close to being done

Kev211
Yes I was gradually raising the temp and it looked as if it was done. Maybe I stirred it up a little when I took the last gravity, it tasted pretty good

Kegging or bottling? Sounds like you may have stirred up some yeast and its cleaning up a bit. If kegging, keg away. If bottling, let it sit another few days. Either way you could let it sit for a while. Ive never complained about a stout aging a bit :)

Like kev211 said, it could just be the temperature change. That causes a pressure change inside the fermenter, which can cause the airlock to bubble.

You're at 74% apparent attenuation now. That seems reasonable unless you mashed really low. I got 74% attentuation the only time I used S-04. It did stall on me, though...took 3.5 weeks to finish. So I'd let it go a bit longer.

Thanks I didn't know what was going on. I'm bottling and mashed in at 153 I think I did get the yeast back in suspension a little. I am going to wait a bit and take another reading in a few days
Thanks again

Back