Cheaply protect the bottom of Carboys/Erlenmeyer Flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustinB

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been lurking for a few months now and finally have something worth sharing :ban:

Lately I have been making a ton of yeast starters for a small brew club that brews every week, we overbuild the crap out of each one so as you can imagine that leads to handling a lot of fragile glass... (Already have a 1L casualty)

The solution to this point has been to just try to be careful or chuck a green scotch brite pad in the sink to keep these flasks from banging against the sink or laying down a towel/rug before setting down a carboy but that gets hairy really fast when you are realize you forgot to put down a towel and you are already holding a full carboy...

I was digging though a junk drawer and happened across several sheets of different sized clear stick on rubber bumpers and it popped into my head that I they could be used on the bottom of flasks and carboys!

I added three in the shape of a triangle on the bottom of a 2L flask, and 6 on the bottom of a 5L flask and now they sit nicely just off of the counter top without banging around...

I used 4 larger ones on the bottom of a carboy as well (I still cringe every time I set my glass carboys down and am slowly replacing them with Speidels)

The best part of this is that they are super cheap, Home Depot sells sheets of 16 for < $3

Here is an example of how the 5L Flask turned out:

yzou3fR.jpg

Not sure if these links will work / are allowed but here you go:

3/8 in. Self-Adhesive Vinyl Surface Pads

1/2 in. Self-Adhesive Vinyl Surface Bumpers

Gret idea, except when you boil water in the flask...

:mug:

I'm not one for boiling in a flask because I cant be sure mine are actually borosilicate... Having had a flask explode on the stove once (doing something unrelated to brewing) I bought a nice cheap funnel and just pour from the pan into the flask...

Back