Cheapest way to get bulk grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexacuna

Reaction score
Just got into all grain brewing and looking to keep some cost down if possible. Most often the grains aren't bad, but shipping is around $40. Any tips?

Buy a silo. No really though unless you have a LHBS that sells bulk grain sacks, I haven't found anywhere that shipping doesn't eat up the savings. Need a amazon prime bulk grain vendor.

It makes sense to buy from a LHBS so the shipping won't kill you.

That's what I was thinking. They're not awfully priced up, but thought it was a good idea to see if anyone else found a work around for it.

There are sometimes group buys of sacks, where delivery is made to a single point and each buyer picks up their sack(s). Check the regional forums for your area.

No, apparently there is a group buy forum. :)

Last edited:
Just got into all grain brewing and looking to keep some cost down if possible. Most often the grains aren't bad, but shipping is around $40. Any tips?

Eugene? Take a trip up to Portland once or twice a year. All of the LHBS I've been to so far sell by the sack for good prices. Depending on which you go to 32-37ish for domestic grains, around the 50-55 range for imports. Check and make sure none down there do that first.

More Beer has 10 lb bags that qualify for free shipping on orders over $59. With my LHBS prices per lb, it's cheaper for me to order from MoreBeer and have it delivered... Base malts start at a little over $1/lb. Their 50lb sacks are cheaper per lb but don't qualify for free shipping, so the 10s end up being cheaper once you factor in shipping.

More Beer has 10 lb bags that qualify for free shipping on orders over $59. With my LHBS prices per lb, it's cheaper for me to order from MoreBeer and have it delivered... Base malts start at a little over $1/lb. Their 50lb sacks are cheaper per lb but don't qualify for free shipping, so the 10s end up being cheaper once you factor in shipping.

Gonna try this. Found a local hops farm i'm gonna go check out today.

Latest posts

Back