Cheapest way to dry bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1528

Reaction score
A good cheap way to dry bottles after sanitizing is simply place them in your open dishwasher upside down. I spray the dishwasher racks with Starsan just to be safe but it works great!,,

david1528 said:
A good cheap way to dry bottles after sanitizing is simply place them in your open dishwasher upside down. I spray the dishwasher racks with Starsan just to be safe but it works great!,,

You don't need to wait for them to dry - in fact, you should fill them while still wet - once they're dry, the starsan is no longer effective.

You don't need to wait for them to dry - in fact, you should fill them while still wet - once they're dry, the starsan is no longer effective.

The directions on my bottle specifically say to allow it to air dry for all applications.

ForumRunner_20131123_162521.jpg

wilson42203 said:
The directions on my bottle specifically say to allow it to air dry for all applications.

There's no need to. The star san needs to be wet to work. So, it will sanitize until it dries, but once dry the bottles are no longer protected - they will be sanitized, but are at risk for new exposure. If you are careful, this probably won't be that big a deal...but there is no harm in putting your beer into the bottles while the star san is still wet. I imagine most folks don't wait for the star san to dry.

I actually fill my bottling bucket with starsan, then "prebottle" with starsan. From there I siphon in the beer and dump the starsan back into another bucket as I go. No ill effects and no drying necessary.

Back