cheap movable planting vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdell322

Reaction score
I rent a house currently and dont want to plant hops in the ground obviously, so I was planning on using planting pots for growing but most are pretty small, so I was thinking about using one of those 15 gallon storage bins and placing 2 rhizomes in there.

Thoughts?

I split a 55 gallon plastic barrel in half and did my plants in there last year and it worked fine. From my reading it'll be fine for a year or two but they will quickly outgrow it. As for the 15 gallon bins you might consider doing two of them and having one plant in each.

Well, there are several issues with what you want to do, I guess my answer will mostly be more questions for you.

1.) why do you want to grow hops? if it's to produce your own hops for beer making, then you will really have to wait at least until year 2 to get a reasonable yield from 2 rhizomes, and even then, it's still not a whole lot, and your hops will outgrow the containers by then.

2.) How long are you planning on renting at this location, and renting in general? it may be prudent to wait until you buy your own place.

3.) Are you planning to stay in the same general area (town/county/state) or are you planning to move to a different state/growing zone?

4.) Do you have a friend/family member that owns a house and would let you plant them there until you buy your own place?

5.) have you considered planting them and removing them when you do move?

For me, container growing would not have been a viable option; the first thing I did when I bought my house was plan out where I was going to plant my hops (I'm not joking, my wife was a little upset with me about it). Soil is very heavy and hops require a lot of it; furthermore since they are in a container they will need nutrient supplements.

Before I bought my house, I tried to grow hops at my parents house, but a hurricane destroyed them shortly after planting.

As for container growing, I grew hot peppers (habanero, bhut jolokia, datilli and other super hots) while I was in college, but we had a greenhouse that was open to students, so it worked out somewhat; however, they were never as good or hot as my ground grown peppers, and when I left college I couldn't reasonably transport my plants, so I left my then three year old plants behind, which really sucked; I was a bit attached to them.

So to sum that all up, personally I would not try to grow hops in containers for the following reasons - required size of container, weight of dirt, difficult transport, difficult trellis system (if also portable), minimal/nonexistent yields.

Sorry to be a negative Nancy, but hops don't take kindly to being confined.

Back