Cheap laptop just to run beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepinctbrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys just looking for some help picking out a cheap laptop only for running beersmith . Any help would be great

What are the Minimum System Requirements?​

• PC/Windows: you need Windows 7 or later (Windows 8, Windows 10). A wide screen (1200 pixels wide or higher) is recommended but not required
  • Macintosh: An intel based processor Mac is required. A wide screen (1200 pixels) is recommended, as is a 64 bit Mac operating system – 10.8 or higher. It should also run on the M1 architecture.
---------------------

it's not a demanding program....

You can also install and run it on Linux as well I have it running on my Mint distro on my laptop so any cheap laptop should do it if you can/have run Linux.

i was also looking at cheap-o win 10 RCA tablets...i've run it on a little mini pc...(and when i say mini, i mean it's pocket sized, but would need a screen..and keyboard, mouse)

Bracconiere and others are right. Used/reconditioned Dell Latitudes can be a fantastic way to get a solid machine for far less than a new consumer-grade unit. The one I bought was unused - probably a corporate shelf spare. Fraction of the original price.

Plus one on the Dell refurbs...

My last 3 laptops have been Dell latitude refurbs...

I typically wipe them and install Ubuntu Linux.

I watch for the Dell refurb sale and score a 1 or 2 year old model in the $350ish range. B grade is still quite good.

They last me several years... 5+

the $350ish range

for i 'just for beersmith laptop' i'm think $50 should be the price point! i mean the damn thing only needs to calculate the color IBUs..and have a enough storage for a couple kb recipe?

edit: although if brad did release a VR version with real time boil overs and clean with a head set, it'd be funny! :mug:

i mean i got a brand new RCA tablet to stream netflix, cost $40....does it just fine over wifi even.....beersmith ain't even that hard core...

but it's android. why i haven't mentioned it. :mug:

edit: i just dopped $20 spot on a sandwhich,,,,

The web version runs on just about anything with a browser. I've been using my creaky Samsung Chromebook. I hadn't been using the desktop version very long when the web version was released, but I didn't notice much difference.

I ran the desktop version on an very old Dell business box retired from my job, using Peppermint Linux with no issues. So, plus one on the refurb biz machines.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/coupons
For those who don't want to load Linux (a free OS for barebone systems), the Dell units come with Windows 10 Pro x64. The license alone cost +$100 through traditional channels. Subtract that from the clearance/coupon price and you'll see they're practically giving these units away.

The web version runs on just about anything with a browser. I've been using my creaky Samsung Chromebook. I hadn't been using the desktop version very long when the web version was released, but I didn't notice much difference.

I ran the desktop version on an very old Dell business box retired from my job, using Peppermint Linux with no issues. So, plus one on the refurb biz machines.
I didn’t know you can use the chrome book

Linux (a free OS for barebone systems)
There are many (MANY!) distros (versions) of Linux out there. Running a barebones is not the only reason (or even the main reason) for Linux. IF your reason to run Linux is to bring an underpowered computer to life, make sure you chose a distro designed for older computers. Some distros are as power-hungry as Windows (looking at YOU, Ubuntu). It all depends on your needs.
I've had luck with Mint Linux, and lately Peppermint, as well as Lite and PCLinuxOS.
I didn’t know you can use the chrome book
Ij you mean Linux on the chromebook, no, not really (I guess there are efforts to do so). I have a couple of desktops and an ancient HP laptop all running linux. My chromebook just runs ChromeOS.

The app version of beersmith does not have everything the desktop version has .. correct ?

I think it has most if not all of the same info that the desktop does. There is an add on option to add hops, yeast and grains that don't come pre-loaded. The only thing I can think of that the app does not have is ingredient inventory.

The corporate laptops that have been issued to me, I have rarely touched the keyboard and touch pad, as they also issue a keyboard, mouse and docking station with them along with monitors.

https://www.dellrefurbished.com/coupons
For those who don't want to load Linux (a free OS for barebone systems), the Dell units come with Windows 10 Pro x64. The license alone cost +$100 through traditional channels. Subtract that from the clearance/coupon price and you'll see they're practically giving these units away.
Thank you for the dell link , only thing I can’t Find , do the clearance laptops come with battery and power cord?

I've never had a Dell that worked properly. Even back in the days I was a student at a college and on their payroll to fix classroom computers, the Dells had the most issues.

I've never had a Dell that worked properly. Even back in the days I was a student at a college and on their payroll to fix classroom computers, the Dells had the most issues.
Dell is not my top pick either, but for a low end laptop they are superior to others. I think Lenovo and HP are priced out of this discussion.

I was thinking about the 5480 they have for $219
The screen resolution is only 1366x768 if that matters to you.
There's a 7280 for $279 with 1920x1080 and it also has a SSD. Nice to have the SSD for quick startup. Screen is smaller on this one though but it would make the unit lighter weight and a little easier to transport.

I have been issued Dells several times over the past decade + and haven't had any hardware issues, but then again, occasionally coworkers have had issues. Like @Dr_Jeff, I have also had a keyboard, mouse, docking station, and monitor provided. If these are corporate machines, the wear and tear in my opinion would be a lot less than the general public.

I liked using my tablet for brew day and my desktop for recipe creation. My tablet broke so I've been using my phone but I did like the larger screen.

The screen resolution is only 1366x768 if that matters to you.
There's a 7280 for $279 with 1920x1080 and it also has a SSD. Nice to have the SSD for quick startup. Screen is smaller on this one though but it would make the unit lighter weight and a little easier to transport.

I have been issued Dells several times over the past decade + and haven't had any hardware issues, but then again, occasionally coworkers have had issues. Like @Dr_Jeff, I have also had a keyboard, mouse, docking station, and monitor provided. If these are corporate machines, the wear and tear in my opinion would be a lot less than the general public.

I liked using my tablet for brew day and my desktop for recipe creation. My tablet broke so I've been using my phone but I did like the larger screen.
Thank you for the good info !

Don't get the hp stream. It's one of the slowest, worst performing computers I've ever seen.

we're talking about something that just has to calculate beer color and predicted OG and pre boil SG and stuff here...i'm sure it will boot up fast enough for the strike water to be ready....

Timely discussion. I'm still running Beersmith 2.0 on my old Dell Inspiron/Vista OS laptop that's dedicated to the brew space. Have been thinking about an upgrade for some time but was leery of spending more $$$ on the hobby (aka, obsession).

I have couple old laptops running Linux. For me the cost would be $0.
You can upgrade the laptop if you have one and use the old like I use. Then the cost for BeerSmith laptop would be $0 too, right? :)

Are you dead set on Brewfather? Brewfather will run on essentially anything with a browser. I signed up for the trial 2 years ago, imported my Beersmith data, and haven't looked back. I use it on my phone, my personal laptop, and my work laptop. I could be using it on my Fire tablets hacked to run the Google Store if I wanted, either Chrome or the app.

Since it hasn't been asked yet I will ask it - is there a specific reason for it to only do this one job? What about a better laptop that does this when needed but also does typical laptop duties at other times? Maybe you wouldn't find that useful. Or you have a better one and just don't want to chance wort splashing on it? Just to be sure this is the best way to go about it.

Are you dead set on Brewfather? Brewfather will run on essentially anything with a browser. I signed up for the trial 2 years ago, imported my Beersmith data, and haven't looked back. I use it on my phone, my personal laptop, and my work laptop. I could be using it on my Fire tablets hacked to run the Google Store if I wanted, either Chrome or the app.
Beersmith now has a web version but I haven't used it yet.

Back