• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Cheap Copper at Home Depot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DFW has the 3/4" i.d. 60 foot for $80 which is 75% off. Haven't seen or heard any other ones yet on sale. Too pricey for not knowing what I would do with it yet.

I got my 60 ft, 1/2 copper from home depot near Exit 8 off the Jersey Turnpike. They had 3 of them at 37 bucks each.

I am excited about this because I have been eyeing a 15 gallon pot and I would have needed a new chiller. Now I have the copper and the way seems more clear for that new big pot within a year. -N_G

My coil was 50', and it's 9 1/2" from the bottom of the chiller to the top coil. In my keggle, that is about the 8 gallon mark. For me it's a bit of overkill on a 5 gallon batch (usually 6 1/4 at the end of the boil) but great for a 10 gallon batch!

My 50' x 3/8" has now been relegated to a ice-bath pre-chiller for the warm months!

Thanks! I ask because I also do 5 gallon batches right now. I also still do partial boils because I only have a 5 gallon kettle. I have plans to make the jump to all grain soon though. So I thought this would be the perfect time to make an ic. I bought 60' of 1/2" and I'm thinkin I'm gonna go with a dual coil design, so when I start doin full boils it won't be overkill like you said. Good to know!

Just picked up two more....60ft x 1/2 in $74 with tax..... You guys were having too much fun after I posted my puny one coil.

There is 1/2" x 50' coiled up

image-2896369365.jpg

Got 1 (1/2 in) copper coil 60 ft for $37 today. Found some 50 ft ones, but they were marked down to $50 from the $79 price (had them scan them) My area must not have marked all their clearance 75% yet. Going to try to keep watching.

Bought the last 2 50'x1/2" OD from the Rocky River, OH HD for $15.03 + tax (ea.). They had some 1/2" ID & 3/8" ID for similarly ridiculous prices.

Got the last copper left; 60' of 3/8" for 20.03$ down from $117.00. Shoulda been 28$, but I haggled my way out of the last 8$.

home depot in leominster, ma
i bought the last 1/2in and 1x 3/8, but there are 3 3/8 rolls left! sweet deal!
the sales person had to get a ladder to get them down, nice layer of dust on top of them ;)

Tuesday, 11/12/13, Lunchtime: Just got the last coil of 1/2 x 60 at the South Portland, Maine. $27.03+tax. Still worth looking if you haven't already!

Thanks OP. Got the last role of 50 ft 5/8 in for 22 down from 95. Cold Springs KY

just a heads up....

my 1/2x50ft was marked at 50 (down from 75), but rang up at 23. I had them price match to somebody else's deal for 15. Tell them it's for beer!

Great find! HD has been phasing out HVAC supplies for a while now, but guess some locations were lagging a little. BTW - As that is refrigeration 1/2", it is the same size as 3/8" plumbing copper.

Third time was a charm, no luck at first two Home Depot. Third one had three 50' 1/2 inch coils for 19 a piece. I grabbed two of them, so there's one up for grabs. Home Depot in Pico Rivera off of Whittier.

Picked up a 60' roll of 1/2" I.D. for $35 marked down from $157. Already have a chiller, but that's too cheap to pass up. They had some 3/4" stuff, but I don't know if that would be as useful. The guy that I talked to at HD said the stuff on sale didn't meet new EPA standards for lead. Who knows if that is the case.

Picked up a 60' roll of 1/2" I.D. for $35 marked down from $157. Already have a chiller, but that's too cheap to pass up. They had some 3/4" stuff, but I don't know if that would be as useful. The guy that I talked to at HD said the stuff on sale didn't meet new EPA standards for lead. Who knows if that is the case.

Same reason i was told over the weekend.

01TRV said:

I would think that they would not be able to sell it at all if that were the case.

All copper and brass has to confirm to the rules that cali had for a while. Do not worry about lead in the old stuff, it is fine.

West long branch. They was one more, after I got mine, but it wasn't in a box.

Yay, I had to hunt for it in my HD, They moved it from where it usually was, A worker showed me the new spot, Up above eye level was 2 boxes of 5/8 x 50 for $27.08 , I snaged them both! It's a 1st for me to get a "DEAL" LOL Thanks to the OP's heads up !:mug:

The guy that I talked to at HD said the stuff on sale didn't meet new EPA standards for lead. Who knows if that is the case.
I was told the same thing, was also told the 1/2" refrigerant tube they have on sale is not for drinking water use and is intended for chemical refrigerant gas. The guy was not 100%sure, but he thought it did not have to conform to the lead standards so it may have more lead in it.

This is all I could find on the laws and it is a bit hard to fully understand so if anyone else knows more about it and can translate it to "layman's" terms Please feel free to let us all know.

Old Law:
http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/lcr/lead_nsfstandard.cfm

New law:
https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/piping-systems/new-rules-for-new-copper-alloys

obie said:
all sold out at shrewsbury ma home depot. should I be worried about lead?
Sorry, Obie but I picked up a 1/2 X 50 ft coil on Monday at the Shrewsbury HD for $20.03. Seemed to be the last one on the shelf. Thanks, OP!

I was told the same thing, was also told the 1/2" refrigerant tube they have on sale is not for drinking water use and is intended for chemical refrigerant gas. The guy was not 100%sure, but he thought it did not have to conform to the lead standards so it may have more lead in it.

This is all I could find on the laws and it is a bit hard to fully understand so if anyone else knows more about it and can translate it to "layman's" terms Please feel free to let us all know.

Old Law:
http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/lcr/lead_nsfstandard.cfm

New law:
https://www.asme.org/engineering-topics/articles/piping-systems/new-rules-for-new-copper-alloys

hmmm...my plumbing guy said this sizes are no longer standard and thats why its been phased out...didn't know anything about the lead

Home depot employee: I dont even have to look I can tell you right now we don't have it for that price
Me: well can you at least get it for me
HD: ill get it but I guarantee it isnt that cheap

Follows me to Checkout $15.03 1/2 inch 50 foot

Thanks OP

Sometimes the world of retail is amazing. Years ago I worked at the Contractor desk of "Supply One", a early version of HD. The department guys didn't like me, as when I would ask a customer did you find everything, they'd say no, the plumbing guy said you were out of such and such. I would then tell or take them to the exact spot where what they wanted was, and the department guys would look, well, stupid. You can't fix stupid.

OK, chilling difference between the 1/2" and 3/8"? My Home Depot has both, the 1/2" is $35 and the 3/8" is 27. Do I need the 1/2" is there that big a difference between these sizes in cooling efficiency?

Thanks

This is the copper tubing being sold by HD (Mueller Streamline Dehydrated Refrigeration Coil):
http://www.muellerindustries.com/products/hvac-refrigeration/hvac-tube-and-pipe/hvac_copper_tube

On that page you can see that it is "NSF Approved" and meets ASTM standards: B-88, B-306 & B-280, but what exactly does that mean? Read here to find out:
http://www.copper.org/applications/plumbing/techref/nsf/pip_cert.html

ASTM B 88: Standard Specification for Seamless Copper Water Tube
This specification covers Copper UNS No. C12200 seamless copper water tube suitable for general plumbing, and similar applications for the conveyance of fluids, and commonly used with solder, flared or compression type fittings. The type of copper water tube suitable for any particular application is determined by the internal or external fluid pressure, by the installation and service conditions and by local requirements. Means of joining or bending are also factors that affect the type of tube to be used.

Just because we are buying "refrigeration" tubing doesn't take away from the fact that it meets ASTM B-88; it's just not sized correctly for general plumbing purposes.

While this company (http://www.plumbingsupply.com/coppertubing.html#faq) is not an authority on copper, they ARE a retailer with their companies reputation on-the-line regarding the products they sell and here's what they say:

Q. "Does soft copper have less copper content? In other words, is it less or more pure than straight lengths?"
A. Hard and soft copper (unless utility grade) are very pure in copper content (99.9% pure copper with no other metals mixed in). The only difference is the way they are made. There are differences in thickness in copper grades of pipe. We like refrigeration grade because when we get it, it is "sealed dehydrated" (cleaner than most other grades). Many codes insist on certain "types" (K, L, or M) of copper and so, if you are plumbing a house, etc. please do not assume that the copper tubing that we offer is code in your area. Check with your local code authorities before ordering. Generally it is "best" to purchase your copper fittings from us and to purchase your copper pipe and tubing locally. The main reason that we offer the copper tubing above is for people that only need a small amount or short lengths as well as we offer sizes not found in many local hardware stores and home centers.

Q."I have 'refrigeration grade' copper tubing. How do I determine which size copper sweat fittings to use?"
A. Refrigeration grade soft copper tubing is sized according to the outside diameter of the copper pipe. The plumbing industry uses the inside diameter (nominal) size of the pipe for their measurement of sweat/solder fittings. To determine what size sweat fittings to use on refrigeration grade tubing you must subtract 1/8" from the outside diameter of the copper pipe measurements. If you have 1/4" outside diameter refrigeration grade tubing then you will need to order 1/8" (nominal) sweat/solder fittings. Copper sweat fittings are not available for 1/8" or 3/16" O.D. copper tubing.

Let's see what Mueller has to say about this.....

I Google the the ACR (refrigerant)tubing standard ASTMB280- ACR tubing is required to be 99.9% copper per that standard.

As I understand it the only difference between plumbing and refrigerant tubing is that the refrigerate tubing has been cleaned and dehydrated to a higher standard so as not to contaminate a refrigerant system. Also, the refrigerant guys use O.D. as opposed to I.D. like the plumbing guys. Keep this in mind when buying fittings.

99.9% is as pure as it gets in my world. I probably am getting more chem exposure typing on this keyboard....

smagic14 said:
Home depot employee: I dont even have to look I can tell you right now we don't have it for that price Me: well can you at least get it for me HD: ill get it but I guarantee it isnt that cheap Follows me to Checkout $15.03 1/2 inch 50 foot Thanks OP

Take that pessimistic HD guy!

hmmm...my plumbing guy said this sizes are no longer standard and thats why its been phased out...didn't know anything about the lead

Refrigeration pipe is sized for OD, where plumbing pipe is sized for ID. ie 1/2" Ref. = 3/8" plumbing. Makes it confusing, but it is (and was) standard

Are these HDs all over the US or only certain parts? Anyone in SoCal find luck on these things?

Latest posts

Back