Chasing off-flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickbarley

Reaction score
I'm a BIAB brewer and corny keg fermenter/server. I've been getting an acidic, sour, plastic-like, rubbery off-flavor in a few of my batches now, and it's very frustrating to troubleshoot. This flavor appears post-fermentation, when I've kegged and force carbonated my beer at around 13-14 psi. I ferment and serve out of a 5 gal corny keg. During fermentation I have a blow-off tube going into a jar full of water and star-san. I typically allow my batches to ferment for about 7-9 days before cold-crashing to 40 F and force carbonating at 14 psi for 2-3 days.

The samples I take are with a picnic tap with pvc tubing. I just run some star-san through the picnic tap before attaching it to my liquid out post. Before fermenting, I disassemble the keg components, and soak them in hot water and star-san for a couple hours before dumping the wort and pitching my yeast.

I do use my city's tap water, which does have chlorine/chloramine, but I add 1/4 of a campden tablet to my water prior to mashing in.

My question is: could this off-flavor be an infection, chlorophenols, autolysis, bad keg lines (liquid/gas), astringency, or just ingredients?

I would be glad to post my grain bill and brew day practices to see if that gleans any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm tasting my latest batch right now (hefeweizen using 3068 yeast), and there is a distinct medicinal flavor when I swish it around in my mouth. The flavor lasts on my tongue even afterwards. I searched around and see that chlorinated water will give this off-flavor.

I have an extract batch I'm fermenting right now that I brewed with R.O water. Hopefully, that will not have that off-flavor. If it does, I might try replacing all of my soft tubing and use my glass carboy to try and isolate any fermentation/sanitation issues.

Last edited:
Update: after giving this batch 20 days to condition, I tasted a sample this morning and... vomit. Yup, it was an infection for sure. Nuking all of my plastic tubing and bleaching my fermenters. So frustrating, but it's good to know it's a sanitation issue because that can be easily fixed! (hopefully)

Disassemble your valves and disconnects and see if any brown goo is there.
You're spot on. I disassembled my picnic tap and sure enough there was this rusty/brown build up on the metal barb of the liquid disconnect. I just threw that away. I'm not 100% sure if it was rust, but I am not taking any chances. Thanks

Latest posts

Back