Charred pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Just got a dark star burner and a tall boy 8 gallon brew pot and I don't want to char the bottom when I brew. Is there a trick to avoid this? I used a friends pot and burner for my last batch and that charred stuff makes a huge mess....

I used a friends pot and burner for my last batch and that charred stuff makes a huge mess....

The disk where the propane hose enters the burner should be rotated until you get blue flame with as little orange as possible. Do this adjustment with the pot on the burner.

Edit: just to be clear - you are talking about the outside of the pot, yes?

the dark star burner will do that. what you mean by huge mess? it just chars the bottom....

i upgraded to a blichman burner and its wayy better than the darkstar. nice blue flame only with no charring.

A friend has one and it's impossible for him to adjust a clean flame with it. The Dark Star is aptly named. After use, the bottom of his kettle will have a star-shaped pattern of black soot. :mad:

The hottest part of the gas flame is just above the tip of the flame. If the flame curls around the side of the pot, combustion efficiency is reduced resulting in deposits on the kettle surface. Efficiency can be judged by the color of the flame. Light blue is the hottest for most propane uses.

Adjusting the gas flow as pablosbrewing describes will reduce the residue deposits.

Yes charred outer bottom. The mess I speak of was during cleaning. The black soot stains things like the bottom of my tub which is where I clean my pot. Ok so I can just smear dish soap on the bottom and let it dry? Not diluted at all? And make sure the flame is as blue as possible and not curl around the bottom. I think I got it. Thanks all!

The dark star burner will char the bottom regardless of your adjusting. i have one and its now been down graded to a charcoal starter for my charcoal chimney. Only way to not get char is to upgrade to a more efficient burner.

I've had good luck removing char by using a 60 grit wet/dry foam sanding block.

Back