Challenger Hops and English IPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWGUNC83

Reaction score
Looking for some help in designing an English Style IPA using Challenger hops (2oz's).

I'm fairly new to brewing (8 batches) and still learning. This site has been a hugh help to the whole experience. I spend way to much time lurking here.

Anyway I was at my LHBS last week for ingredients for a hoppy US-APA. They were out of all the hops I had listed as possibilities. They talked me into buying Challengar which upon researching wasn't what I was looking for. Fortunately I was able to find the hops I wanted for the APA at another location (Centennial and Citra). Sorry for the long background.

Now that I have the Challenger (8.3AA), I would like to use it as the basis for an English IPA to contrast against the Mag/Cent/Citra US-APA. I'm thinking of using Maris Otter as the base grain but would really like some suggestions / help building a recipe. The APA I'm contrasting against consists of 2-Row + 5% C-40, 50 IBU (Mag - Bitter, Cent/Citra - Flav/Arom/Dry), Saf-05. I'm looking for something somewhat in-style, hoppy but different to the APA.

I do BIAB, all grain. In 4 Gal Batches. I've gotten familiar enough with on-line brewing software to scale recipes as long as I know the original volume.

Any suggestions and help will be greatly appreciated.

Bumping.

Anyone have a recommendation for a good English IPA recipe using Challenger hops? Thanks.

For a 5g English IPA, I use 12# M.O, 0.5 - 0.75# Crystal 55, and 0.5# flaked barley. That gives me an O.G. of about 1.072. The flaked barley helps a lot with head retention, and I like the flavor it adds.
For yeast, I use WLP023 or WY1028, and have got great results with both of them, but you will need a starter. I haven't found a dry yeast that I liked at all in an English IPA.
I go overboard (by English IPA standards) when it comes to the hops. I add 1 oz of EKG at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 minutes, and enough bittering hops to give me about 100 IBU's, and another 1 or 2 oz EKG dry hops. It's unlike any other EIPA and way outside the guidelines, but I like it, as do my friends.
I'd definitely use at least 0.75 oz hops at 15 and 0 minutes, and then add whatever you need as bittering hops to get the IBU's up to 50 - 60, and I'd also add an oz of dry hops for 7 - 10 days.

Good luck.

-a.

Hi,

I brewed a batch using:

1 can coopers IPA
1 can LME
500g dextrose
500g demmera sugar
Challenger hops; 50g@ 45mins, 25g @ 15mins and 25g dry hopped at 10 days.

Fermented @ 21C for 2 weeks. Just pulled a bottle and fired into the fridge after 2 weeks in warm. Very nice flavour, serious head retention. I have to say, i'll def be single hopping with challenger again. .

PH.

Latest posts

Back