Chalky Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSmithsEra

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

I recently brewed a saison that after being 3 weeks in the bottle is giving off a chalky taste. The taste happens towards the back end of the drink you take and am curious to see what may have caused it

My mash temps were lower than I anticipated at about 145 for 30 mins then 140-135 for the remaining 60 mins in my 90 minute mash. sparged at 170 for 15 minutes

Style: Saison
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 3.0 gal
OG: 1.059
FG: 1.015
Bitterness (IBU): 29.6
Color (SRM): 12.3
ABV: 5.8%

Grain/Sugars:

4.00 lb Pilsener (Belgian), 44.8%
3.00 lb Light DME, 33.6%
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (Belgian), 11.2%
0.50 lb Vienna (US), 5.6%
0.44 lb Acid Malt, 4.9%

Hops:

1.00 oz Saaz (AA 3.5%, Pellet) 60 min, 7.8 IBU
1.00 oz Spalt (AA 2.5%, Pellet) 60 min, 5.6 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnanger (AA 3.7%, Pellet) 60 min, 8.3 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz (AA 3.5%, Pellet) 10 min, 2.8 IBU
1.00 oz Spalt (AA 2.5%, Pellet) 10 min, 2.0 IBU
1.00 oz Tettnanger (AA 3.7%, Pellet) 10 min, 3.0 IBU

Now, after three weeks carbing in this California heat 80+ degrees when I look at the bottles there appears to be yeast floating around in the bottle?? or some sort of debris?

one bottle has a dark black webish looking thing growing in it???

I tried a bottle yesterday after i stuck it in the freezer for an hour ( I know, I know) and when I breathed the aroma deeply after i poured it, there was a chalky scent and when I tasted it, it had a bit of a chalky almost grainy finish...

can anyone give me any ideas on where I could have gone wrong?

oh and I did boil for a total of 90 minutes adding the extract from the get go

which yeast strain? Did you use a starter? What was your fermentation temperature? What temp did you pitch the yeast at?

I'll say that 1.015 is really high for a saison, so I'm a little worried that your fermentation isn't done, but let's get a few more yeast details out there before that speculation.

which yeast strain? Did you use a starter? What was your fermentation temperature? What temp did you pitch the yeast at?

I'll say that 1.015 is really high for a saison, so I'm a little worried that your fermentation isn't done, but let's get a few more yeast details out there before that speculation.

whoops..sorry noobish move there.

the beer ended at 1.006, I used WLP 560, I used a 1 liter starter and pitched at 70 degrees. Fermented at 65 first 2 days then let is rise to 75 for the remainder of the three weeks i had it in the primary. No secondary

Is it clearish (for a saison) in the glass? If not and it's a DuPont strain of yeast, you probably still have lots of yeast in suspension in the bottles with that fg, especially after just an hour in the freezer. That strain is super slow and never seems to floc and I would say you potentially have some very delayed bottle bombs.

Is it clearish (for a saison) in the glass? If not and it's a DuPont strain of yeast, you probably still have lots of yeast in suspension in the bottles with that fg, especially after just an hour in the freezer. That strain is super slow and never seems to floc and I would say you potentially have some very delayed bottle bombs.

it looks clear in the bottle but was cloudy after the freezer ...gravity reading gave me 1.006.. the program isued BrewR gave me that final gravity, but I made sure it fermented out.

Back