CFC and pump placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laughingboysbrew

Reaction score
Until my electric setup is finished, my current brew config is 2-tier, propane outside. My concl. fermenter is inside, approximately 15-17' away from the brew pot outside. My pump is currently placed right below my fermenter. There is a slight elevation change between the BK and the pump so it will prime just fine. Benefits of the pump being right below the fermenter are pressure to pump up through bottom port and minimal liquid waste after the pump (everything in the 15' line between the BK and the pump is 'pulled' through).

I just invested in a CFC and for the time being am planning on putting it right below the BK (gravity fed). Is it safe to assume I can run the BK valve wide open while chilling? I plan to run the cold water wide open to start. I'll monitor the thermometer on the output of the CFC - only adjusting the cold water rate if over chilling is occurring. Is there a risk of under-chilling with 40F cold water and BK output wide open? I suppose I can always throttle the output of the pump to slow down the through the tubing.

[edit: just realized my H20 direction is wrong in the diagram]

cfcpump.jpg

The CFC will restrict the flow into the pump - this is not good, as it will lower the pressure at the pump and possibly cause cavitation. Ideally the pump should go before the CFC, however the drop to the pump from the CFC may let you get away with it.

The drop isn't that much. From BK to CFC is about 6"...and after the worth comes out the bottom, it will be about even with the pump (floor level). I'll eventually be purchasing a second pump for HERMS... should I put a pump before the CFC and then again below my fermenter?

Latest posts

Back