Ceramic Element size for fridge fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistercameron

Reaction score
I'm pretty much done with my side-by-side build - kegorator on the freezer side, and fermenter on the fridge. So far it's working great, but one thing I'm dealing with now that the weather is turning cooler and my first fermentation in the unit is slowing down... keeping warm. Right now the garage temps are in the low 50s, and thankfully we only see the mid 30s a few times out of the year.

I have a 60W ceramic heater in the fridge right now, but it seems to be running quite a bit today and struggling to keep 68°F. Zoo Med 60W Ceramic Heater

I'm wondering - is 60W even enough? I'm thinking of returning it for a 100 or 150W element, but I wanted to hear some opinions first.

Thanks!

I use a 60w in mine but I live where it seldom gets cold enough to need it and when it does it isn't by much and is only for a short while. From feeling/watching mine work I can't imagine it handling it always being cold.

TomSD said:
I use a 60w in mine but I live where it seldom gets cold enough to need it and when it does it isn't by much and is only for a short while. From feeling/watching mine work I can't imagine it handling it always being cold.

Tom, you aren't far from me. That sounds fine.... As I mentioned, it seems weird that it would be running so frequently. I think part of the issue could be that without all the normal fridge parts in place, there may be more air coming from the air return hole when the freezer cycles. I guess I'll keep an eye on it for a few more days and see how it goes.

I run in the 65 - 69 F range for the one that is fermenting now and it manages to keep up without lots of cycling. When it comes on at 65 it is on for a bit to get it up to 67 but that is fine with me.

One thing that made a big difference for me though was attaching my probe to the outside of my carboy. That way it is measuring the thermal mass of the carboy and not ambient temps inside the chamber. A lot less swings that way.

You are right though... if you compromised the insulation you are going to cycle a lot more.

EDIT... Oh and what range do you have set? You aren't heating it up enough to kick in the cooling are you? If you don't leave enough swing room they will just duke it out with each other all night, lol.

TomSD said:
I run in the 65 - 69 F range for the one that is fermenting now and it manages to keep up without lots of cycling. When it comes on at 65 it is on for a bit to get it up to 67 but that is fine with me.

One thing that made a big difference for me though was attaching my probe to the outside of my carboy. That way it is measuring the thermal mass of the carboy and not ambient temps inside the chamber. A lot less swings that way.

You are right though... if you compromised the insulation you are going to cycle a lot more.

EDIT... Oh and what range do you have set? You aren't heating it up enough to kick in the cooling are you? If you don't leave enough swing room they will just duke it out with each other all night, lol.

I'm using the eBay aquarium controller - one each on the fridge and freezer. The fridge range is 0.5 C, which is roughly 1F, and the probe is attached to the carboy with a thick piece of styrofoam over it. Maybe over analyzing it all.

image-2344261763.jpg

Latest posts

Back