Centennial SMaSH IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
does this sound like a drinkable SMaSH IPA?

12 lbs maris otter

Centennial Pellets:
.25 90 min
.25 60 min
.25 45 min
.25 30 min
.75 15 min
1.25 1 min

wyeast 1056

5 gallon batch

I would think you'd be better off bittering the beer at 90 (or 60) ....and then flavor it at 15 and 1 ....hopping at 45 and 30 is sort of non-productive . IMO.

Like this:
2oz @ 60 (or 90 )
1oz @ 15
1oz @ 1

Should be tasty !
:mug:

does this sound like a drinkable SMaSH IPA?

12 lbs maris otter

Centennial Pellets:
.25 90 min
.25 60 min
.25 45 min
.25 30 min
.75 15 min
1.25 1 min

wyeast 1056

5 gallon batch

Why the 90/60/45/30 minute bittering? I don't think that's at all going to make a difference and I'd just use .75 ounce at 60 minutes to maximize IBUs and save the .25 oz for later on.

I'd do this:
.75 oz bittering 60 minutes (or to 40 IBUs or so)
1 oz 15 minutes
1 oz 5 minutes
1 oz 0 minutes
dryhop 1 oz 5-7 days

thanks for the help, I was planning on doing a smash and have 13 lbs of maris otter but got 2 ounces each of columbus, chinook, and palisade hops instead. What would be a good hop schedule for those? I was thinking columbus for bittering, chinook for flavoring and palisade for aroma, but how much and what timing? I love strong hoppy beers

1 oz of chinook @60
.5 oz of columbus @ 20
.5 oz of columbus @ 10
1 oz palisade @ 10
.5 oz chinook @ 5
.5 oz columbus @ 5

Dry hop with the remainder :)

I'm planning on doing a centennial smash with 14 pounds of two row tomorrow. Also going to try to wash and pitch some 1056 yeast after I keg my amber ale tomorrow. First time trying that hope it works. I have a pack of US-05 on hand just in case.

Uh, Nicholebrewer. You do realize that SMASH stands for Single Malt And Single Hop? Your recipe may be tasty but its not a SMASH. ;-)

Uh, Nicholebrewer. You do realize that SMASH stands for Single Malt And Single Hop? Your recipe may be tasty but its not a SMASH. ;-)

yes but if you read my reply after the initial post I said I decided against doing the smash and using those hops instead :)

Yooper's hop schedule suggestion looks a lot like Two Hearted

can NOT go wrong with that

I brewed a MO/Centennial SMaSH with that schedule, minus the dry hop, and it is fan-effing-tastic

Latest posts

Back