Centennial Bomb feedback request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blhblah1

Reaction score
I managed to come across 1lb of centennial pellets that I want to use all at once so I'm looking for feedback on this recipe, mainly on the amount of specialty grains as I don't have much experience creating my own recipes. The grain bill is somewhat of a mashup of Pliny, Heady and some honey malt for fun. All feedback is welcome!

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.63 gal
Estimated OG: 1.091 SG
Estimated Color: 9.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 136.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 81.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.10 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
13 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 68.4 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 18.4 %
1 lbs Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 4 5.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.9 %
12.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.9 %
2.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - First Wort 60.0 mi Hop 7 46.9 IBUs
3.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 49.2 IBUs
3.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 31.7 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 8.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 Yeast 12 -
2.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [8.90 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 19 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 26.25 qt of water at 163.5 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun , 3.84gal) of 180.0 F water

Holy Hop Bomb Batman!

Grain bill looks fine to me though I don't have any experience with honey malt. I'm sure you would want the sweetness in there to balance out the bitterness a bit.

I'd probably back off on the bittering hops a bit. The FWH is fine, but then I"d either save the three ounces at 30 minutes for another brew, or add them at flame out if you want to use it all in one batch.

While I do love some all-centennial brews (like Two Hearted), a huge dose of them may be a bit on the floral side and that is something to be aware of.

If you really want a convenient way to get rid of them, I'll email you my address. :D I love centennial hops for the most part, but am all out at my house.

For a beer that big, 152* might be a little high to mash. I would go more like 148* for 90 minutes, but your tastes may differ. I don't think the final gravity will get anywhere near the supposed 1.008 of Heady if you mash at 152*.

Also, I notice that you're using pH stabilizer. Have you had success with that? I don't think I've ever read a good thing about that product.

No, I've never used the stabilizer, but what should I use instead? Our tap water is 8.3pH, fyi.

Also, these are a 2013 crop that have been vacuum sealed and frozen so I would assume that would degrade their overall impact hence trying to use them all at once.

It's far beyond my pay grade to start to give water chemistry advice, but everything that I've read about pH stabalizer says that it basically just doesn't work, you'd be better off using nothing. It's my understanding that the malt has a lot more buffering capacity than the tap water, so independent of starting pH the mash will come down to the pH 5 to 6 range. If you really want to fall down the rabbit hole, look up Bru'n Water or Kai Troester's discussion of the topic.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=An_Overview_of_pH

No, I've never used the stabilizer, but what should I use instead? Our tap water is 8.3pH, fyi.

Also, these are a 2013 crop that have been vacuum sealed and frozen so I would assume that would degrade their overall impact hence trying to use them all at once.

The pH of the beginning water doesn't matter. What does matter is the make up of the water. The stabilizer is junk- it doesn't work, and it can create weird flavors. Don't use it!

Do you know the make up of your water? If you usually make great tasting pale beers, that would be a good indication that this will be ok as well but often people need a little acid in the mash to hit a proper mash pH.

Latest water report attached.

citywater.JPG

Also, if I mash at 150 for 90mins would Golden Promise be a better choice for sweetness than the Maris Otter?

Personally I would use US 2 row. That big grain bill will be plenty malty. Save the good stuff for lower gravity brews. You've got the crystal for sweetness. Btw your grain bill is almost exactly what I use for a IIPA

Back