Caustic Cleaner through a submersible pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpcluever

Reaction score
I've got this pump pump

I use it to clean carboy, kegs, and my plate chiller. My roommate just got a couple Sanke kegs to use as fermenters and one of them has a crazy amount of beer stone in it. Do you think that pump would survive a bath in Sodium Hydroxide drain cleaner? That seemed to remove the beer stone in the keg that was cut open for a keggle. I'd also like to be able to send that through my chiller occasionally to remove any leftovers and/or beer stone.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for getting that beer stone out of the keg?

plastics are generally more OK with caustic (basic) chemicals, than with acids. but that doesnt mean the pump will be fine... there could be seals of various types that dont stand up to caustic. i would buy a cheaper pond pump from harbor freight or some other discount hardware store to use with strong acid or basic cleaners.

that being said, actual beer stone is mostly impervious to caustic. beer stone is calcium oxalate and is only dissolved with acid.

Latest posts

Back