Cathy's Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Getting there. Started my first partial extract

6 lb Pale LME
1 lb Crystal 80
1/4 lb Roasted Barley Put the grain in water at 160* for 30 min.

1 oz Fuggle Hops at 60 min boil
1 oz Fuggle Hops at 30 min boil
1 oz Fuggle Hops at 55 min boil

Est. OG from Beer Smith =44
Today after 12 days in the mid 60's SG=18

Gonna leave in on the primary to the end of the month as I'll be gone for a week pretty soon.

I have a good feeling. Taste today was flat of course but I catch a little of the hops. Not sure what it should taste like but it should be at least Good.

if that is your exact recipe, you are in for some bad news. however your OG you said was, i assume, 1.044 so seems to me like you maybe didn't post the whole thing.

thats also a LOT of hops boiling for a very long time for an irish red...

if that is your exact recipe, you are in for some bad news. however your OG you said was, i assume, 1.044 so seems to me like you maybe didn't post the whole thing.

thats also a LOT of hops boiling for a very long time for an irish red...

Thanks forgot the 6 lbs of Pale LME.

Boil time and hops amts. came from LHBS recipe book.

ahhh ok. the pieces of the puzzle are coming together now.

fyi, when you are writing a hop schedule, 60 mins means its boiled for 60 mins, 30mins for 30, etc.

hey, are there any good breweries in hawaii? im heading out there in june for a wedding and want to tour at least one brewery if possible!

Just for reference, that's not a 'partial extract' recipe, it's extract with specialty grains, or steeping grains... You didn't mash anything, since there was no malt that could convert anything included (such as a base malt)...

Should be interesting to see how it comes out... Out of curiosity, what was the AA% of the hops you used?

fuggles have no more than 5.5% aau's so he isn't gonna have TOO hoppy a brew. then again, im not a master or in front of beersmith to figure out what his IBUs are gonna be.

ahhh ok. the pieces of the puzzle are coming together now.

fyi, when you are writing a hop schedule, 60 mins means its boiled for 60 mins, 30mins for 30, etc.

hey, are there any good breweries in hawaii? im heading out there in june for a wedding and want to tour at least one brewery if possible!

Tks for the timing pointers. I just copied it the way they had it printed.

Kona Brewing Co is on the island of HAWAI`I, but they have a restaurant on Oah`u in Hawai`i Kai w/their great brews on tap. I think there is at least one more but can't remember where. Try GOOGLE it.

Just for reference, that's not a 'partial extract' recipe, it's extract with specialty grains, or steeping grains... You didn't mash anything, since there was no malt that could convert anything included (such as a base malt)...

Should be interesting to see how it comes out... Out of curiosity, what was the AA% of the hops you used?

OOPS again on the "partial extract" shoulda known better by now.

Beersmith say Foogles hops at 4.5 if I'm reading it right.

Even using my default 4.00% AA for the hops, he's above the style range... It's also going to be a darker red brew (also above the style range) with the LME used. FG estimate is 1.012 BTW...

Next time, I would not do a 30 minute addition. Move it to either 15 or 20 minutes for flavor. At 30 minutes, it's got more going to bittering. Shifting that one addition to 20 minutes puts the IBU's within the style range (at the upper edge though)... If the hops are higher AA%, then it's going to be more bitter Irish red ale.

Also, going with either Crystal 60L or reducing the 80L addition to just 3/4# would get the color within style... Or dropping the roasted barley to 2oz, instead of the 4oz you used...

OOPS again on the "partial extract" shoulda known better by now.

Beersmith say Foogles hops at 4.5 if I'm reading it right.

Doesn't matter what the software default is, it's more important to know what the actual hops that you'll be using are. That's why they are [typically] marked with the %AA... Otherwise you wouldn't know what your actual IBU's would be from one batch to the next, even if you're brewing the same recipe (unless you get the hops in bulk, even then you'll know what %AA they are)...

Doesn't matter what the software default is, it's more important to know what the actual hops that you'll be using are. That's why they are [typically] marked with the %AA... Otherwise you wouldn't know what your actual IBU's would be from one batch to the next, even if you're brewing the same recipe (unless you get the hops in bulk, even then you'll know what %AA they are)...

Ah, so much to learn for this old fart (68).

Looked on the bag as I had 1 oz left.

The AA was crossed out and hand written was "5.1"

With a AA% of 5.1 for the hops, that puts you at 38.3 IBU via Beer Smith... Far above the Irish red ale range (stops at 28 there) and almost into the English IPA range (starts at about 40 there)... So it's an Irish brown semi-IPA... :eek:

With a AA% of 5.1 for the hops, that puts you at 38.3 IBU via Beer Smith... Far above the Irish red ale range (stops at 28 there) and almost into the English IPA range (starts at about 40 there)... So it's an Irish brown semi-IPA... :eek:

Where do you get the ranges?

Next time I'll plug the recipe into Beersmith and see what it says before I brew.
Who knows what "Cathy" was thinking :D

know what? dont worry about it. although its out of style guidelines, are you submitting it in any competitions?

if not, youre gonna have a hoppy brown-red ale. and its gonan be good!

Where do you get the ranges?

Next time I'll plug the recipe into Beersmith and see what it says before I brew.
Who knows what "Cathy" was thinking :D

The styles are there in Beer Smith... The info is also available on the BJCP site... It's a guideline for what you're calling a brew... So if something is outside the parameters (IMO, more than just the ABV range) then it's really something else. With the color and IBU's being where they are. It's more of a hoppy Northern English brown ale... Or just an English brown ale. Since it mixes some qualities of both the southern and northern styles. I think if the hop addition was less, and not so much of dark malts, you would have nailed it... The color could have been fixed by just using 5# of extra light DME (instead of the LME)... Then it would have just been the hops... The IBU's could have been adjusted by either changing the hop boil times, or reducing the amounts. In that area, if you had used .75oz for the 60 minute and changed the 30 to 15 minutes, also going with .75oz, then change the 5 minute to .5 oz (using just 2oz total) it would be within the style parameters.

I would use Beer Smith (since it sounds like you already have it) to figure out a recipe before you brew it.... I actually do that for each batch, to make sure I'm getting what I want.

BTW, Cathy might have had a few too many before either making this, or writing it down... :D

The styles are there in Beer Smith... The info is also available on the BJCP site... It's a guideline for what you're calling a brew... So if something is outside the parameters (IMO, more than just the ABV range) then it's really something else. With the color and IBU's being where they are. It's more of a hoppy Northern English brown ale... Or just an English brown ale. Since it mixes some qualities of both the southern and northern styles. I think if the hop addition was less, and not so much of dark malts, you would have nailed it... The color could have been fixed by just using 5# of extra light DME (instead of the LME)... Then it would have just been the hops... The IBU's could have been adjusted by either changing the hop boil times, or reducing the amounts. In that area, if you had used .75oz for the 60 minute and changed the 30 to 15 minutes, also going with .75oz, then change the 5 minute to .5 oz (using just 2oz total) it would be within the style parameters.

I would use Beer Smith (since it sounds like you already have it) to figure out a recipe before you brew it.... I actually do that for each batch, to make sure I'm getting what I want.

BTW, Cathy might have had a few too many before either making this, or writing it down... :D

Thanks again. I have the trial version and really have to spend more time learing it. Really hoped it would be something like Killian's Red. Perhaps I need to do more research and try it next time.

Again thanks for all the help. I've been playing w/BeerSmith more the past few weeks and I think I'm beginning to understand more about brewing.

I tasted this last week, one week conditioning in the bottle and it was a flat junk beer. Today I tried another after a few hours in the "drinking" fridge. Much better. Carbonation in the bottle, but not back into the beer. Taste much better. I can tast a bit of hops and something else I can't name. Color is a nice brown. It's gonna be a good "some kind of" ale in another week or two.

Cracked the first cold one after 3 weeks at 70*.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good. It may not be a red ale, but it's a good Brown Ale, and it's good which is the main thing. Thanks for all the help. I'll try the color RED again soon.

Okole Maluna!

Cracked the first cold one after 3 weeks at 70*.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good. It may not be a red ale, but it's a good Brown Ale, and it's good which is the main thing. Thanks for all the help. I'll try the color RED again soon.

Okole Maluna!

Thought I'd toss in a picture.

CathysIrishBrownAle.jpg

Back