Catalyst Fermentor Kickstarter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it work to "bottle" into the 8 oz mason jar after primary, then attach full 8 oz jar? I would think there would be a CO2 blanket atop the beer in the jar that would minimize oxidation when reintroduced to the rest of the beer?
Looking for workarounds on this and kicking myself for not anticipating it beforehand. What have others done on other conical for this type of problem?

I'm worried about oxidation from introducing air into the fermenter from the empty mason jar that's attached for secondary/yeast collection. I thought a workaround might be to attach the bottling apparatus, fill the mason jar that will be used for secondary, then attach the full mason jar so as to minimize oxidation.

If you are concerned about the O2 from air in the jar, fill the jar with CO2 immediately before attaching it.

The CO2 "blanket" is a myth, it's not how gas diffusion works (2 gasses together start to mix immediately -- gas stratification doesn't happen in the circumstances we care about for brewing).

I'm worried about oxidation from introducing air into the fermenter from the empty mason jar that's attached for secondary/yeast collection. I thought a workaround might be to attach the bottling apparatus, fill the mason jar that will be used for secondary, then attach the full mason jar so as to minimize oxidation.

Sounds like a plan! I've just been filling the jar with RO water, but that dilutes the brew a bit. I like your idea better.

I have not had that problem and do not understand why the mason jar might make a difference. Once the yeast flocs out, isn't it done no matter where it flocs to?

I don't know. I wonder if the yeast isn't still eating some diacetyl while its compacting in the jar.

I don't know. I wonder if the yeast isn't still eating some diacetyl while its compacting in the jar.

I am going to up my yeast count by 25% next time and see if it helps my situation. I may just be under-pitching.

Has anyone had any issues with the silicone seal on the lid coming off? I went to take the lid off in order oxygenate and pitch the yeast, and the seal came off and fell into the wort!! I fished it out, re-sanitized everything and carried on, but now I'm concerned that it will happen again when I go to dry hop.

Has anyone had any issues with the silicone seal on the lid coming off? I went to take the lid off in order oxygenate and pitch the yeast, and the seal came off and fell into the wort!! I fished it out, re-sanitized everything and carried on, but now I'm concerned that it will happen again when I go to dry hop.

Haven't had it happen to me personally, but have heard of the issue before.

Manufacturer recommends prying the lid open on one side only, to prevent the vaccuum effect and the seal dropping off into the wort.

Works for me when opening to add sugar solution prior to bottling - hope this helps you too

Just saw on Craft-A-Brew's site that they are offering a sample port / ball-valve for the Catalyst. I've been holding off on purchasing the Catalyst because of the lack of sample port. From what I can tell you have to drill your own hole for this. Has anyone heard more about it? The Kickstarter site doesn't provide any information.

Just saw on Craft-A-Brew's site that they are offering a sample port / ball-valve for the Catalyst. I've been holding off on purchasing the Catalyst because of the lack of sample port. From what I can tell you have to drill your own hole for this. Has anyone heard more about it? The Kickstarter site doesn't provide any information.

I ordered two for my Catalysts on 4/26/17. My order confirmation said it would take two business days to ship. Nothing delivered yet... :confused:

This exact issue happened to me on the second use of the catalyst (didn't dry hop the first batch so no need to open partway through).

No matter what I tried (keeping airlock out, opening slowly from one side only, trying to pry the whole thing up slowly, etc.. It would still come unseated. Hell I got to the point where I was feeding my dry hop bag through the tiny airlock hole in the lid just to keep from having to open it up and risk the seal dropping off again.

I emailed Craft-A-Brew and they sent me out a replacement seal. The new one seems to fit much better than the previous (I don't have near the problems I previously did with it coming loose on me).

I did notice on the old seal that where they joined the rubber to make a ring there was a clear silicon piece (how they joined the white seal). Mine was quite large on the initial seal compared to the replacement so it may have just been a little looser.

Worth emailing them for a free replacement to see if it alleviates the issues for you.
:mug:

Thanks for the info. Same thing is happening to me, but I can't Dry hop mine through the airlock hole bc I have a thermowell going down in and can't pull it all the way out bc ferm fridge ceiling is too close, so I'd have to take the whole thing out of ferm fridge.

Do you have that email handy?

Thanks!

I used an "Easy Seal Stainless Steel Weldless Bulkhead" for the sample port and a Steel Step Conical Drill bit to core the hole.

You're right a blow off tube is better as this airlock can fill up at times.

Tiki, do you have suggestions for drilling the catalyst? Any pics of you adding your sample port? Would you do it the same way again?

Thanks for the info. Same thing is happening to me, but I can't Dry hop mine through the airlock hole bc I have a thermowell going down in and can't pull it all the way out bc ferm fridge ceiling is too close, so I'd have to take the whole thing out of ferm fridge.

Do you have that email handy?

I just emailed [email protected]

They initially made the offer to ship out replacement gaskets off their kickstarter comments. You can see my comments regarding the gasket there along with a few other people as well.

Does anyone use a chest freezer as a fermentation chamber for their Catalyst? What dimensions do you look for?

Here you go:

catalyst_specs.jpg

Anyone added it to their catalyst? Wondering how the drilling went and if the port is working as they want it to.

I like the idea of just closing the valve once the brew clears and keg from the port.

Thanks in advance!

I added the cover and moving it is MUCH easier. Well done on the design.

@Craftabrew - need suggestions on best procedure/bit for drilling the hole for the sampling port.

Also, Is the Catalyst designed to cold crash with a solid plug?
Does anyone have tips on cold crashing it?

Thanks

I added the cover and moving it is MUCH easier. Well done on the design.

@Craftabrew - need suggestions on best procedure/bit for drilling the hole for the sampling port.

Also, Is the Catalyst designed to cold crash with a solid plug?
Does anyone have tips on cold crashing it?

Thanks

I cold Crash with a solid bung, no issues. This was after I got the inevitable suck-back leaving the blow off tube in place

Tiki, do you have suggestions for drilling the catalyst? Any pics of you adding your sample port? Would you do it the same way again?

Sorry I don't have pictures of the process, but when you use the step-conical drill bit it has the size stamped at each step/notch on the bit. Take your time and make it just big enough to fit the sample port valve fitting. Drill a small pilot hole and follow up with the step-conical for a very smooth hole.

I would still use the ball value but would change the straight barb to a curved one.

I cold Crash with a solid bung, no issues. This was after I got the inevitable suck-back leaving the blow off tube in place

Thanks for that. Do yo have any issue with the drop in pressure? I assume the top caves in a bit. any worry of losing a bung into the fermentor?

Sorry I don't have pictures of the process, but when you use the step-conical drill bit it has the size stamped at each step/notch on the bit. Take your time and make it just big enough to fit the sample port valve fitting. Drill a small pilot hole and follow up with the step-conical for a very smooth hole.

I would still use the ball value but would change the straight barb to a curved one.

Thanks @Tikiman. I am looking forward to adding the sample port. appreciate the help

Thanks for that. Do yo have any issue with the drop in pressure? I assume the top caves in a bit. any worry of losing a bung into the fermentor?

No signs of caving in for me. Chilling down to about 3 degrees Celcius from 18-20 degrees. Bung stays well in place. I only crash for 2-3 days though.

Back