Catalyst Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg816am

Reaction score
Homebrew newbie here, if this should have been in another forum I apologize...

What is the general consensus around these parts for the Catalyst for a newbie? I have brewed a couple of batches so far using the "beginner kit style food grade bucket" and looking to upgrade that. What interests me about the Catalyst is that it is see through, and as a new brewer, I feel seeing what is going on is important to me learning.

Otherwise, what are some recommendations to step up from the bucket? My price range is up to about $200. I've also looked at the SS Brew Bucket too, I really like it, but I can't get over the not see through part...

Also, I brew 5 Gallon batches, if that makes any difference. Thanks!

I like the looks of the catalyst system, but at least some of those advantages can be had with a clear carboy for a fraction of the cost. I really like the idea of being able to remove the trub and bottle all from that bottom valve. I wonder how much trouble that would end up being to clean and keep sanitary though.

if you want to see the action. put a cup of your wort into a pint jar and add a pinch of yeast. Put the rest in the bucket. View the activity in the pint jar all you want, then dump it out. Leave your beer in the bucket for 2 to 4 weeks and then bottle it.

How are you going to control fermentation temperature with the Catalyst? What do you expect to gain over using the plastic bucket that makes the Catalyst worth $200 to you? Hint: Ingredients and technique make the beer, spend the money on the ingredients and work on your technique.

I thought about one of these when they came out, but going against it for a few reasons. 1. It won't fit into my fermentation chamber. 2. It's only sold at NB as far as I know, and I don't buy from them anymore. 3. It's plastic, so eventually it's going to wear out, get scratched up. For the price, I'm going with the SS Brew bucket. Seeing the beer ferment is cool for about a couple brews, then there's nothing new to see.

Before spending the money on a expensive fermenter find out if the item is cost effective to you. can you use what it offers, will it be limited in what it offers because some other similar product offers more and you should have gotten that?
I have looked at all kinds of bottom dump fermenters, from cheaper plastic ones to Stainless steel ones with refrigeration systems for brewing lagers.
Bottom line is I brew 5 gallon batches and the cost of the systems does not justify the benefits.
That is my opinion about my brewery only.
What you need to decide is based on cost, use, and space it takes up.
What you never need to use for the decision is the desire to use equipment as a substitute for knowledge or experience.
No piece of equipment in the world will make your beer better. It will only make it easier to make.
I use Speidel fermenters, not the cheapest plastic fermenter system in the world but not the most expensive either. the have some great features and accessories. But they are cost effective to my brewery. I do not yeast harvest to a bottom dump is not beneficial to me. I do not use glass carboys as I find them difficult to clean to my standards and that the Speidel has a big mouth I can reach down into. Big mouth makes a cheaper version of a big mouth fermenter.
I cannot answer what will be cost effective to your brewery, that is for you to figure out. If you are into yeast harvesting then a bottom dump is cost effective. Consider what your needs are. How often you brew, and how much use you will get from the features of the fermenter.

I looked at it and it seems like a very well thought out and engineered product. But it is big and expensive. I have 7 Better Bottles and often have most of them occupied. I bought a couple of them on 2 for 1 sales so my total cost was less than $200.

If you are made of money or are only going to ferment one beer at a time....

They are made of a plastic, but not your ordinary kind. It is unlikely to scratch unless you do something like scrub it with scouring powder...... Most of my Better Bottles are approaching 5 years old and I don't think any are even close to "wearing out"

I don't advise glass carboys. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=376523

They are too expensive in my opinion. And they won't make your beer better. I just use buckets. Cheap and easy to clean. Pretty easy to harvest yeast has well.

Spend your money on something more valuable, would be my advice. Like a keg system.

But whatever floats your boat... :)

What is more important than "see through" is the ability for the fermenter to hold co2 pressure and do closed transfers. I had wanted a brew bucket but recently found a spare corny keg can get me what I need. For the price of one of those fermenters you could get a kegging setup. Get a spare keg and you could ferment in it. Just a thought.

Edit: should note footprint is important if you want to put in a fridge if some sort to control temp. Research keg spunding as well. I wish I would have known about this technique when I was starting.

It seems like using the bottling funnel and tube to dump trub is a better idea than the ball jar. When you open he valve with an empty ball jar, it blows oxygen through the beer. While the funnel/tube will draw in air from the top, the co2 blanket should reduce the amount of oxygen in the beer.

You can get a small chest freezer at Lowes for $198. Get a temp controller and put your existing bucket or carboy in there and you'll have a real upgrade.
The Catalyst is just not worth the money to me. It will be interesting to see what the Fermentasaurus sells for when they become availalbe in the US.

Back