Cat and Beer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandaren

Reaction score
Had my wort chilling in the bathtub and went to check and make sure everything else was ready. When I went back into the bathroom, the damn cat ran out and there was a bit of wort on the side of the tub and floor where he ran off. :mad::mad::mad: F***! Is my beer ruined?

Probably going to be ok. Maybe not but there's only one way to tell :D

Start thinking of a catchy catty name for the beer now! :)

Catbath ale
No its not ruined
I would give it a quick boil to make sure, but its not nessesarely getting ruind if you dont

Nice point !! As long as its before the yeast you could just recook it. I've brewed a bunch but never considered the option. :rockin:
VirginiaWolf
33b0e062.jpg
[/IMG]

lol thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, I didn't think to reboil either. Too late now. Ya, he's my brewing buddy. Needs to learn he's not the taste tester though. :)

Does he like the taste of pre/post fermented beer?

My parents' cat loves to eat tomato sauce and our old cat used to love to drink SoCo and orange juice.

lol no everytime I get too foobard and try to share my beer he never seems to like it...
All I can hope is that he didn't recently clean anything too nasty

All great inventions/discoveries have come about either by necessity or accidentally.

Even if he cleaned something nasty, you might have discovered a new bittering agent that is delightful and refreshing.

This is what happens when I let my mind off the leash......:drunk:

I made a cat paw pilsner once. One of our cats thought that bucket of crushed grained looked a bit like the stuff in his box. He only tested it with his paw.

Our other cat is a regular assistant on brew days. He'll sit nearby and watch and occasionally will come closer and give his opinion or ask for a pet.

I routinely find a cat toy in my kettle. One of our cats just likes to get involved with anything I do... so he makes his own additions... so far, he's never done it on a brew day, though. The burner scares him (as it should).. to hissy sounding.

Was the cat toy filled with cat nip? Maybe he wants to add a little "kitty pot". It must smell kinda like hops to him?...:drunk:

Catnip, pot, and hops are all close cousins... all of the Cannabis family (genus?) I've hopped a brew with catnip before, with "peaty" results... poor bittering... but I've never had the beer balls to use marijuana... maybe someday I will give it a try... when I have that kind of money to waste.

It could be fine, it could have been bugged, only way to know is to let it ferment and find out. I would never assume it's ruined before I've let it ferment and given it a taste test.

Now you'll have hair o' the cat for your hangover cures!

Malintent, btw, catnip is in the mint family (Lamiaceae), not the pot/hop family (Cannabaceae).

Has anyone ever brewed with pot? That sounds interesting. Would you get any affects from the pot or would boiling take away it's potency?

Has anyone ever brewed with pot? That sounds interesting. Would you get any affects from the pot or would boiling take away it's potency?

I'm sure there's other sites that could answer this question. No one here would know anything about that.

I routinely find a cat toy in my kettle. One of our cats just likes to get involved with anything I do... so he makes his own additions... so far, he's never done it on a brew day, though. The burner scares him (as it should).. to hissy sounding.

You're lucky, mine tries to get as close to the burner in an OCD attempt to smell it without singeing her whiskers off.

Catnip, pot, and hops are all close cousins... all of the Cannabis family (genus?) I've hopped a brew with catnip before, with "peaty" results... poor bittering... but I've never had the beer balls to use marijuana... maybe someday I will give it a try... when I have that kind of money to waste.

Pot and hops are cousins. Different genus, same family. They are also the only two members of the family (Cannabaceae). Nettles are a close cousin in the same order (Urticales), but a different family (Urticaceae). Mints are members of a completely different order (Lamiales).

If any one is curious about plant families, or native plants (with some use/growing info.), this is a great website

USDA Plants database

For those people who LEGALLY grow or consume medicinal marijuana (and ONLY you)

Pot needs to be metabolized prior to consumption. THC must be converted to D9-THC. To do this, it simply must be heated. that is why you can smoke it. If you take raw plant matter and eat it, nothing will happen. To eat pot for its MEDICINAL effect, it must be cooked. The best way to do this is to saute in butter... heat metabolizes the THC and the fat from the butter extracts it from the plant matter. that butter can then be used as you normally would in the kitchen.

So, I imagine one could use the buds of a female pot plant as a late addition (10 min or less, maybe) and have D9-THC, but then to extract that from the plant matter and incorporate that into the wort would require a fat... something that we brewers try to avoid (head retention).

Alcohol may also be capable of extracting THC from the plant matter, but you still need to heat it first...

Any ideas?

Boiling water is hot enough, but yes, you need the fat. Alcohol? Maybe an organic chemist can chime in on this theoretical question, but my guess is that a 6% by volume solution of alcohol would not incorporate nearly as much THC as would a pure lipid.

VirginiaWolf, I LOVE the cat pic!

True story:
It was a beautiful sunny day and I was going about my business cooling my wort in the sink. I noticed in the sunlight a dog hair drifting through the air above the sink, headed straight for my 80*F wort (don't ask me how it made it all they way up there.) In desperation, I made a grab for it, missed, and watched in horror as the hair landed in my wort.
The beer came out fine.

For those people who LEGALLY grow or consume medicinal marijuana (and ONLY you)

Pot needs to be metabolized prior to consumption. THC must be converted to D9-THC. To do this, it simply must be heated. that is why you can smoke it. If you take raw plant matter and eat it, nothing will happen. To eat pot for its MEDICINAL effect, it must be cooked. The best way to do this is to saute in butter... heat metabolizes the THC and the fat from the butter extracts it from the plant matter. that butter can then be used as you normally would in the kitchen.

So, I imagine one could use the buds of a female pot plant as a late addition (10 min or less, maybe) and have D9-THC, but then to extract that from the plant matter and incorporate that into the wort would require a fat... something that we brewers try to avoid (head retention).

Alcohol may also be capable of extracting THC from the plant matter, but you still need to heat it first...

Any ideas?

THC is not water-soluable, that is the reason you need to bind it to something else.

if you just eat you will get the effects because during digestion it IS metabolized. it can't be metabolized before it is consumed.

Back