CASK Berliner Weisse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_0613

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm working on a few brews for my wedding next summer, one of which will be a berliner weisse. I'd would like to cask it but I'm not confident that a secondary fermentation in a cask, with a beer that's only 3.2% abv, will have enough sugars to carb it to anywhere near what it should be.

Perhaps I should just let it ferment to completion and naturally carb it? I'm not really concerned with adhering to CAMRA guidlines, I just want to serve it from my cask and not have to bother with CO2.

Thoughts?

British brewers add priming sugar to thier casks too. Don't worry. CAMRA isn't going to bust your wedding for using a little sugar.

Ben - It's a Golden Gate keg.

Cellarbrau - I thought that might be the best option. Thanks.

okay, cool...

i have keg conditioned a couple of times using sugar and it is pretty darn easy to get your calculations for sugar quantities using beersmith...

I think it might be more cool however to check into pressurized fermentation and get a spunding valve for your secondary fermentation and see how far the natural off gassing will get you...

For sure. I use beersmith for just about everything.

Cool idea about the spunding valve, I hadn't heard of those before. Definitely better than shives and spiles imo.

Back