Cascade Hops in north florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
So I just got my rhizomes. Wondering what kind of soil to use. The instructions say to use sandy, dry soil. Other posts on here say they use pitting soil. I have some local farm dirt, which is a mix. It would it be best to plant them in the ground? I was thinking of using a pot. I am in Florida, so any other local growers with pointers is much appreciated!

I am in SE GA here and started my crowns (Cascade, Centennial, Fuggles) in pots last fall with potting soil that ended up growing almost 7 feet and it was past growing season. I recently planted them in a permanent spot with high hopes for this season. No expert but you could get away with potting soil and a 5 gallon bucket for a season or you could get fancy. Seems like they are pretty tough plants as long as you don't have a black thumb.

I live in central Arkansas and recieved my cascades today. I plan to plant them in a 4 ft round pot using a mix of potting soil and loose compost.

I grow mine in the native soil here in Jax, I amend it with manure this time of year and give it 10/10/10 fertilizer the rest of the year, it's probably 95% sand.

I'm thinking of just digging some holes and fillin them with potting soil. That way they get a little of both. I think I'm going to skip the pots. I guess if I end up moving, I could always dig up the crowns??

I'm in Tallahassee, use soil from Tallahassee Nurseries, and have mine in pots. The soil in my yard does not drain well at all, so I decided to use pots instead of planting them in the ground. If you have soil that drains well, you can put them in the ground. You can even get a cheap soil pH tester and see what the pH of your soil is and figure out what you need to add to it to make it better.

Back