Carlo Rossi Hard Cider Brewing Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokeahontas22

Reaction score
So first off I don't plan on bottling my cider. I have tasted some home brewed ciders before that were just strictly done in Carlo Rossi jugs and were pretty darn good. I'm hoping to do the same. I just did my first batch this last week. I did:

1 Gallon Apple Juice from TJ's (planning on doing my own juicing in the future)
1 Cup Sugar
Sweet Champagne Yeast
Yeast Nutrient
1 Tbsp Molasses

For the process I did:
5 days with the air lock and little air vent bubbler thing
2 days with the regular cap
2 days in the fridge with cap

This is how some friends taught me how to do it and it didn't come out bad it just tasted like a dry slightly apple tasting champagne. I would like it to be quite a bit sweeter and a lot more carbonated. Help! Obviously I know the yeast eats the sugar so what can I do to keep some of the sweetness and add carbonation? Thanks in advance.

I suggest using apple juice frozen concentrate to sweeten with. This will add back in a bit of apple flavor and give you a bit of sweetness. Also this will give the yeast more sugar to ferment giving you CO2 bubbles for the carbonation you desire. However I don't suggest trying to carbonate in those Carlos's jugs. They are not made to withstand pressure and you with make one heck of a mess. Trust me I've done it with a Carlos jug back in college and my roommate hated me for weeks bc of the smell. But if you do keep it in the fridge that should keep the yeast dormant. Although the yeast still can do work in the fridge. I've seen several batches of mine continue to carbonate in the fridge because I was too lazy to bottle pasteurize.

Thanks man I'm definitely gonna try that next batch. How exactly does the fridge help? What would you recommend for fermenting in then?

To add sweetness and carbonation, I transfer to a bottling bucket that contains a can of apple juice concentrate (thawed), mix it all together (gently stirring) and transfer to seltzer water bottles (empty/sanitized). Let them sit for 3-4 days at room temp, checking them daily for hardness; then transfer to a fridge to slow/stop the yeast from doing any additional carbing. Result is a bubbly, champagne-like, semi-sweet cider. Very tasty and refreshing.
This is based on a 1 gallon batch.

Back