Caribou Slobber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremy_84

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer. If so thoughts and suggestions would be great. I'm thinking about ordering it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Haven't tried the Caribou Slobber, but the American Brown Ale that it is cloned after (Big Sky Moose Drool) is delicious.

Brewed the Caribou Slobber extract many times. Are you planning all grain or extract? Which yeast are you planning to use?

Brewed the all grain version this past weekend, and it is fermenting away right now. Original hydrometer sample tasted promising. Anxious to see how it turns out.

I've never brewed their kit but I've brewed a recipe based on it. In fact, I'm drinking it right now. It turned out really nice. Very much like Moose Drool.

I've done NB's Moose Drool twice- both times it was the extract kit.
I think it makes a marvelous beer. Tasting notes from this last time: "Definitely keep this one in the yearly rotation!"

I'll be going with the extract kit I'm not set up for AG yet. I've been brewing partial mash for a while debating on either a kegging system or stuff to go AG haven't decided yet. Not sure what yeast yet either just wanted to throw it out to see what fellow HB friends thought of the kit. Thanks for all the input friends.

This is from memory, so do some research!

I believe the kit tells you to pitch the yeast at 78 and keep it above 72, and the consensus across the internets is that is a crock of crap. That yeast (whatever it is) should be in the 66-70 range, not 72+...like I said, this is all from memory I haven't brewed this myself, just did research on it.

I'll be going with the extract kit I'm not set up for AG yet. I've been brewing partial mash for a while debating on either a kegging system or stuff to go AG haven't decided yet. Not sure what yeast yet either just wanted to throw it out to see what fellow HB friends thought of the kit. Thanks for all the input friends.

CS has more body and better flavor than Moose Drool. I'll look up my notes on yeast, ferment temperature, and time in primary in the morning.

I brew this regularly. Its a great beer and has more flavor than Moose Drool IMHO. I have found that this beer gets better with a little more age. So I let it sit in the primary for about six weeks before cold crashing and kegging.

Just kicked a keg of Caribou Slobber. This was my first try at all grain brewing. Absolutely delicious. I'm making a yeast starter today and will be brewing another Caribou Slobber all grain kit on Sunday.. Because my wife loves it I have the go ahead to have it on hand all the time. I have always used wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale but I'm a neophyte and use it because it's one they suggest. I ferment at approximately 65 degrees which is on the bottom end of the suggested range. The last couple batches I have thrown in an ounce of centennial for drop hopping and prefer it this way now. I like the aroma it adds and gives it a little extra kick in the flavor department but I also really like hoppy beers. In my opinion this one is good from the get go, but as others have said, it just gets better with age.

CS has more body and better flavor than Moose Drool. I'll look up my notes on yeast, ferment temperature, and time in primary in the morning.

I had to go back through my notes to find the recipe sheets with tasting notes. Sometimes I'm good about adding tasting notes from the last few bottles.

I have always used WY 1332. My last four brews have been with harvested yeast, then I lost the yeast to infection. Stopped rinsing the yeast with water after this.

Pitching temps 60°F to 62°F.
Fermentation allowed to rise to 66°. Usually day 3 to day 4 and then held at the same temp. No temp ramping.
SGs around day 6 have been 1/.012 to 1.015. Don't take SGs this early anymore. I was just curious what SG was as the krausen was falling.
Sediment remained in samples until there was no CO2 in the samples.
FGs day 21 have been 1.009 to 1.012. Tasting notes said 1.012 beers have been the best in body and flavor.
All have been bottled 18 to 28 days after the start of active fermentation.

Hope this is of some help.

I can't that y'all enough with the tips and notes I'm placing the order today after work. Was going to do it on lunch hour but the boss man wanted to do a lunch meeting.

That kit was one of my first AG brews.

Still stands as one of the best brews I've had from a kit.

My experience exactly.:mug: If I were to go back to making a kit, this would be a great choice. I used the WY1332 with a starter and kept it in the upper 60s.

I went to college in Missoula and have drank my fair share of Moose Drools over the years. In fact, it was the first craft beer I ever drank. So, it holds a special place in my heart and remains one of my favorite beers. I've also brewed Caribou Slobber (the extract kit). In fact, I'm drinking one right now. They aren't identical, but are both very good. There's a reason it's one of NB's most popular kits.

I have had a caribou slobber brewed by another member of this forum. It was great. I did a blind tasting with the real moose drool and I actually preferred the slobber!

I did the slobber all grain recently.

I let it ferment in primary for two weeks then kegged.

It was "ok" the first two weeks kegged.

Then it got real good...then it was gone.

Next time I will let it sit for at least two weeks before throwing it on tap.

Try it with wyeast 1450 and a 1/2lb of rolled oats! Delicious!

Beer and crabs were meant for each other!

I have a 6 year old caribou slobber kit I'm going to try and brew this weekend. Lol

CS extract kit was my very first experience with home brewing. I handed out a few bottles to friends and family. One coworker's husband (who is a self-proclaimed beer snob) said it was far better than Moose Drool.

It's my favorite out of the few batches I've made so far. Probably going to be one that I brew regularly although I have plans to try some other nut brown ale recipes to see if I can find something even better.

Latest posts

Back