Carboy question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bourdon

Reaction score
Can I use those 5 gallon water containers from a water cooler as a carboy? If not it's no big deal. I just have like 10 of them at work and I wanted to start a batch of cider.

The general consensus here is no. (Guys...please correct me if I am wrong). It has to do with the oxygen permeability of the bottle and sanitary issues.

I think permeability is the word (what I meant to say is the bottle allows unacceptable amounts of oxygen to flow through the bottle itself).

When the water man came round our office to make a water delivery I asked if he had any glass carboys back at the bottling plant for sale. Turns out they a boatload of them not in use any more, all for $10.00 each.

Not too shabby a deal, so you might try that route with yours.

bbourdon said:
Can I use those 5 gallon water containers from a water cooler as a carboy? If not it's no big deal. I just have like 10 of them at work and I wanted to start a batch of cider.

I have read all the posts on this forum an it seems fine. The I am going to grab is a blue bottle with a number 7 recycle code.
Here's a list of posts that can answer your question:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=27398
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=352
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31267
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25090
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=25287

cheezydemon said:
That is all I use. I have had no oxidation problems whatsoever. Check my sig.

DO you use a stopper or on of the over the top deals? If a stopper what size do you use
thanks

Chris_Dog said:
The general consensus here is no. (Guys...please correct me if I am wrong). It has to do with the oxygen permeability of the bottle and sanitary issues.

I think permeability is the word (what I meant to say is the bottle allows unacceptable amounts of oxygen to flow through the bottle itself).

Yes, that's the largest part of it. Also, since they are 5 gallon containers, you don't have any headspace. I do my primary fermentation in a 7.5 gallon bucket, and then use the 5 gallon carboy for a clearing tank. Since it stays in the clearing tank for several weeks (sometimes longer), I use glass or Better Bottles due to the oxygen permeability of regular plastic.

But just because other people have used them doesn't mean they work for everything.

For example, anything that you are planning on secondarying for a while, like a barleywine, or maybe a RIS or even a mead.... You probably want to look at something with less oxygen permeability.

Just because you don't admit something occurs doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

mbaha said:
I have read all the posts on this forum an it seems fine. The I am going to grab is a blue bottle with a number 7 recycle code.

Some water bottles are #1 recycle code (the same stuff Better Bottles are made from). Where I work, the water cooler bottles are a mix of #1 and #7.

I think they both would work equally well, but given a choice I would choose #1.

I wouldn't take any though, because that would be stealing.

Yooper is right, I do 4.5 gallon batches because of the headspace and I always use a blowoff. But who is to say that 5 gallons is the magic number? My batches almost always make 2 cases exactly. Sure 5 is better, but 10 is better than 5, and 20 better than 10.
I got them free from work(the water cooler) and they sure don't break.

I use a #3 stopper I want to say(I could be way off). I got the wrong size first and I was able to saw off a cm or so of the spout and make it fit, so I forget which size was which.
I have batch conditioned my imperial stout for about 2 months and then another 8 or so in the bottle. It is fantastic. No sign of oxidation in any of my brews and I have had my: Mutt, Spider, and Dave's all for 7-9 months.

chriso said:
But just because other people have used them doesn't mean they work for everything.

For example, anything that you are planning on secondarying for a while, like a barleywine, or maybe a RIS or even a mead.... You probably want to look at something with less oxygen permeability.

Just because you don't admit something occurs doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Just because people are stuck in a paradigm does not mean they are right.

The Oxygen Transmission Rate of code 1 and code 7 are pretty close and lots of juice and soda etc comes in code one bottles....

cheezydemon said:
Yooper is right, I do 4.5 gallon batches because of the headspace and I always use a blowoff. But who is to say that 5 gallons is the magic number? My batches almost always make 2 cases exactly. Sure 5 is better, but 10 is better than 5, and 20 better than 10.
I got them free from work(the water cooler) and they sure don't break.

I use a #3 stopper I want to say(I could be way off). I got the wrong size first and I was able to saw off a cm or so of the spout and make it fit, so I forget which size was which.
I have batch conditioned my imperial stout for about 2 months and then another 8 or so in the bottle. It is fantastic. No sign of oxidation in any of my brews and I have had my: Mutt, Spider, and Dave's all for 7-9 months.

Thanks, three is a bit off http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_53_58_154_234
I am going back and forth between a 10 and 10.5. The water bottles here measure 1 4/5" at the opening. Sawing off the mouth might not be a bad idea, the lip rolls in and decreases the diameter a bit..
thanks

mbaha said:
Just because people are stuck in a paradigm does not mean they are right.

Fine, dismiss my opinion. You sure seem quick to criticize others. I was just trying to point something out.

I still stand by my side, which is that #7, even IF it's just one type of plastic resin (PLA), which we know it's not universally such...... #7 PLA has a higher MVTR than any other plastic code. From the link you provided, "MVTR is a measure of the passage of gaseous H2O through a barrier. The lower the rate, the longer the package protects its contents from moisture and ensures the moisture content of the product remains the same."

Whatever. Heck, plastic didn't even exist back when you were born, mbaha. How is being 99 years old treating you anyways? Hard to brew?

Back