Carboy lamp I made while stuck inside

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopar318

Reaction score
Yesterday, I was bored being snowed in so I made a carboy lamps from an old pallet. I built it just like an apple crate, but drilled a hole and installed a LED puck light.

Not only is this cool to look at, it makes a great inspection light. I can now see the little co2 bubbles flowing up to the surface, and the particles dropping.

Correct, this is why I used the LED puck light. It is a 2 watt light, so very very low heat produced.

Would the light from the led have any kind of impact on the beer? Looks pretty cool.

I would surmise the LED could have an effect on the beer based on the light output.
UVA-UVB, we know that will skunk a beer. Not a temperature F/C issue but a color temperature K.

A quick google search says leds emit almost no UV. Museums are going to led lights to help preserve pictures and other stuff.
Tom

Being this it posted in the cider forum I don't think it will skunk the beer! I wouldn't do it with beer but very cool! Cabin fever!

LED light doesn't contribute to light struck wines and ciders? That surprises me, as I thought all light (all spectrums) contribute to all wines (especially whites) and ciders being light struck in varying degrees.

LED light doesn't contribute to light struck wines and ciders? That surprises me, as I thought all light (all spectrums) contribute to all wines (especially whites) and ciders being light struck in varying degrees.

Looks like we'll find out

I only turn it on for a few minutes so I can see what the brew is doing.

That is a cool show piece if nothing else. When I finally have the time and money to get my bar/brew room put together, that would make a nice show piece. I might even just put some colored, sanitized water in there and leave it. It is something that any homebrewer would instantly recognize, and it would be a sweet lamp!

That is a cool show piece if nothing else. When I finally have the time and money to get my bar/brew room put together, that would make a nice show piece. I might even just put some colored, sanitized water in there and leave it. It is something that any homebrewer would instantly recognize, and it would be a sweet lamp!

Thats a good idea too. All said and done you would have $40 invested in the lamp. $30 for the carboy, and $10 for the puck light at menards. Heat treated pallet wood, or old barn wood looks great. I am going to make another one with red oak, but it will be a more perfect looking one.

Do you have some 'Step-by-Step' instructions? I always like to learn from others rather than have to figure it out by blundering through it.

I don't have any pictures along the way.

Basically you just build an apple crate, and then drill the hole with a hole saw to fit the puck light.

You could use an existing apple crate or build your own. I built mine, but we have close to 1000 I could have used.

Latest posts

Back