Carboy in sun started a fire!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiedye

Reaction score
Hello all!

I've just calmed down a bit and thought I'd share my experience w/ the HBT team.

I was in my home office and smelled smoke. I went onto the back porch and saw a cardboard box smoldering, and then burst into flames. The sun was shinning through a carboy filled with PBW. The sunlight focused directly onto the box on the other side, creating enough heat to light it on fire!!!

I tossed the flaming box into our outside fire pit, and other than being a little freaked out, everything is fine.

I'm lucky I was working from home today. This could have ended very badly.

Add this to your list of things to be aware of!

Safe Brewing!

I went onto the back porch and saw a cardboard box smoldering, and then burst into flames. The sun was shinning through a carboy filled with PBW. The sunlight focused directly onto the box on the other side, creating enough heat to light it on fire!!!

I'll bet that if you tried to do that again, you couldn't.

Didn't you ever melt **** as a kid with a magnifying glass? It's the same concept I suppose. I would never leave a carboy in the sun.

Good thing you were home.

Back