Carboy cleaning (after first batch)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncoutroulis

Reaction score
So i've bottled my first batch..and have scrubbed and cleaned the carboy with soap and the bottle brush. I'm sure it's not 100% clean or sanitized, so i'm wondering what needs to be done before I use it for my next fermentation.

thanks

Get some Oxyclean (unscented), dump 5 or 6 scoops into the carboy and fill up to the neck with hot water. Let it soak overnight. Dump it out, rinse thoroughly and let it drip-dry. This is just the cleaning part; you don't sanitize the carboy until right before you use it again next brew day.

Oxyclean or PBW are great for cleaning equipment. Like MaxStout said, make sure you get the unscented Oxyclean if you go that route. I usually just soak some PBW in my fermentor and use a sponge to wash it out and it always cleans up real nice. Then once your brew day comes around you will have a clean carboy and all you have to do is throw some sanitizer in it and you are good to go.

If it's really stuck (ie I didn't clean it right after fermentation finished up), I do an initial rinse with hot water, then soak with oxy clean. I've tried PBW and oxy. Seems like the oxy can leave a *little* residual behind. If I see that, I hit it with PBW.

If the first 24-48 hour oxy soak leaves some crud, hit it with some hot water and a half a scoop oxy for a 3-7 days. That will take care of anything.

Back