Carboy C02 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewerTrain

Reaction score
I have a reinforced carboy the glass is thicker then normal carboys i was thinking after 10-14days fermantation i would remove the airlock make a custom corklock "same thing as airlock with a bleederhose into water" and very slowly at c02 to carbonate the beer, need advice on this ? I need to do some search on how much pressure the carboy can withstand before its compromised structurely.

I would not try that, even if the carboy is thicker than usual. I'm not sure I understand what the "corklock" is, but I think you're asking for trouble if you try to reach carbonation pressures in a carboy. Best case, you'll blow the top off, worse case you'll blow up your carboy.

I've heard of people using CO2 to move beer from carboy to keg/bucket but why carbonate in the carboy? Just curious.

Is this in an attempt to carbonate before bottling/ kegging? If so, I don't think it will work as intended. For one thing, the beer needs to be cold - below fermentation temperature, in order to properly absorb the carbonation. Also, it seems that the cork stopper would eventually blow out under pressure, well before the carboy would rupture.

Am I missing something?

EDIT: Wow, three "no" responses in the space of two minutes. I think we have a consensus.

I dont have a keg where i can conduction and carbonate the beer, why im asking here my make question is if i can carbonate the beer under low c02 pressure in a increased amount of time well getting the same results

What good would carbonating it do though? Wouldn't you still need to package it somehow? Even if you could get it done in a carboy (which probably isn't a good idea anyway) you'd knock a lot of the CO2 out when it gets moved.

Also thought about for own consumation making like a force air c02 tank for like mini batchs of drinkible beer within hrs has this been done before ?

Back