Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karuah

Reaction score
i have just started to home brew again after about 35 years. My first brew ( a pale ale ) turned out pretty good except about 6 out of 25 bottles came out flat ie no carbonation. I bottled into 750ml PET bottles with a screw cap. I think what happened is when I tightened the cap on those 6 bottles I didn’t tighten them correctly. My question is can I carbonate those bottles using something like a “soda stream” unit? TIA

No to the soda stream unless you like cleaning the floor and walls. When releasing the pressure the beer tends to spray all over according to what people have reported.

A better way is to use sugar. Measured carefully it will get you the proper carbonation. This can be done with a measuring spoon or by using carbonation drops.

No to the soda stream unless you like cleaning the floor and walls. When releasing the pressure the beer tends to spray all over according to what people have reported.

A better way is to use sugar. Measured carefully it will get you the proper carbonation. This can be done with a measuring spoon or by using carbonation drops.

Hi thanks for your reply. I did use sugar and was careful to measure and double check that I had primed each bottle before filling, I obviously didn’t tighten the cap correctly. The reason I asked is that I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can be done. I just think it is shame to waste good tasting beer if you can do something about it. Lesson learnt I now double check each bottle after capping.

Welcome back to brewing. You can also try batch priming as well. I use both methods. When using carbonation drops i like coopers. I think they work really well.

Hi thanks for your reply. I did use sugar and was careful to measure and double check that I had primed each bottle before filling, I obviously didn’t tighten the cap correctly. The reason I asked is that I seem to recall reading somewhere that it can be done. I just think it is shame to waste good tasting beer if you can do something about it. Lesson learnt I now double check each bottle after capping.

You can do something about those bottles that didn't carbonate. Loosen the cap so any pressure will be vented and leave it a bit loose for 24 hours, then reprime them and tighten the caps well. Check one a few days in and make sure the bottles don't overcarbonate. If they start to gush, release pressure, retighten the caps and repeat as necessary until they no longer gush.

Back