Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SophieMC

Reaction score
I want to know, about the carbonation process out of sugar... Why it doesn't add more alcohol to the final product? There is still some yeast to convert sugar, and the "bubbles" are the result of this process... But why it doesn't affect the original fermentation?

And please excuse any grammar mistakes! English is not my native language :)

The two most common sugars used for carbonation are table sugar and corn sugar. These two sugars like most other sugars are 100% fermentable, but without adding any other flavor. The amount of sugar used to bottle or keg carbonate is so small it will only add about 0.01% to the ABV in a five gallon batch of beer.

Actually it should be more like 0.25% abv, but still not really enough to be noticeable. I don't understand the second part of your question, why doesn't what affect the original fermentation?

Actually it should be more like 0.25% abv, but still not really enough to be noticeable. I don't understand the second part of your question, why doesn't what affect the original fermentation?

I meant, howcome the sugar doesn't affect the original fermentation.

Sorry, I still don't understand. The original fermentation is complete, then you add some sugar to start a small second fermentation in the bottle.

Yes, that was actualy what I meant ;) so the sugar does affect, but it results in the gas. And now that we are at this topic, do you have information about different carbonation possobilities? Different from sugar. I know there's a device which allows an immediate carbonation

If you are talking about natural carbonation with yeast it can be done with pretty much anything fermentable. This is a calculator that lists different types of priming "sugars". You can also force cabonate with CO2 gas, as with kegging. Even that is not exactly immediate, but you can get a batch carbed in a day or two with high pressure (just need to be careful about overshooting).

I meant, howcome the sugar doesn't affect the original fermentation.

My math was an oops. It is an additional 0.25 to 0.26% in ABV.

The amount of sugar used in the bottling bucket for carbonation is so small it will not change the flavors developed in the first three days of the original fermentation.

Back