carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdburns1

Reaction score
I bottled my second batch of all extract wheat, (plus some coriander, cumin and bitter orange peels) six days ago. I used a carbonation calculator that said to use 8.7 oz of priming sugar for a carbonation typical of a weissbier. This was more than the standard 3/4 cup recommended by most homebrew instructions, but I went with it anyway. I just tried a beer and its pretty fizzy, not a lot of head. I realize it needs more time, just wondering if that was way too much priming sugar and if I could have bombs on my hands.

if your ferm was totally done and depending on your bottles, after 6 days already, you should be ok. if you are concerned, put the cases in plastic garbage bags to finish out your aging. RDWHAHB! cheers!

Thanks, I fermented for 2 weeks, og 1.052, fg 1.014. Gravity readings seem normal but it seemed pretty sweet. Will that even out through conditioning?

How many volumes of CO2 was that supposed to be? That's a lot of priming sugar if you're doing a 5 gallon batch. I think the glass bottles you get from a home brew store are rated for something like 4 volumes of CO2, so if you have more than that (or if you are using older or structurally compromised bottles) then you might want to look into containing them just to be safe. They probably wouldn't break even if they are a little over 4 volumes, but you wouldn't want to find out the hard way that they couldn't take the pressure.

It was for 4 volumes of co2, using some champagne bottles and pint bottles with Grolsch style caps, the rest are once used 12 oz-ers. I think I'll just have a homebrew and chill.

Back