Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shilke

Reaction score
I have recently brewed an American Brown Ale with relative certainty that everything went as planned. Only issue is my bottles are opening with varying degrees of carbonation. Some are low and others seem pretty good. Could this be caused by the amount of empty space in the bottles?

How much sugar did you use to prime with?
Did you pour sugar directly into the bottles or did you bulk prime in a bottling bucket?
How long ago did you bottle?
What temp have you been keeping the bottles while conditioning?

All of these can impact your carbonation...

I don't think it's really due to space, unless it is a lot of space. It could be that your priming sugar wasn't distributed evenly. Did you use enough? Some people prefer to stir it in, some people like to siphon on top and let it mix, some like to add half at the beginning and add half in the middle. It's a matter of preference really.

boydsbitchinbrews said:
How much sugar did you use to prime with?
Did you pour sugar directly into the bottles or did you bulk prime in a bottling bucket?
How long ago did you bottle?
What temp have you been keeping the bottles while conditioning?

All of these can impact your carbonation...

I primed with the amount it called for I believe it said 3/4 cup and dissolved it then added to bottling bucket. It was bottled a good two weeks in about 68-70 degree temps then I moved to the fridge for a full week. Some are just right so maybe it was because of getting it fully mixed into the brew.

There are no carbonation problems, only patience ones.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.or, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

There are no carbonation problems, only patience ones.

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer. Beers stored cooler than 70, take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Carbing is foolprrof. You ad the right amount of sugar, leave it at the right temp, and it will carb.

If a beer isn't carbed by "x number of weeks" you just have to give them more time. If you added your sugar, then the beer will carb up eventually, it's really a foolroof process. All beers will carb up eventually. A lot of new brewers think they have to "troubleshoot" a bottling issue, when there really is none, the beer knows how to carb itself. In fact if you run beersmiths carbing calculator, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.or, some lower grav beers don't even require additional sugar to reach their minimum level of carbonation. Just time.

Preach it! +1 on patience.

Also, sugar will always properly mix if you siphon your beer onto the sugar water in your bottling bucket. I guess you could screw it up but you'd have to try.

All of the beers should have a consistent amount of carbonation, but the yeast in those bottles may just be taking different amounts of time to finish their work.

Awesome, I have a good amount of beer left from the batch to figure it out. I appreciate all the help and info everyone.

Back