carbonation opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strachtastic

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first batch of cider and as I'm getting ready to move from the primarily to the secondary rank I'm starting to think about bottling and whether or not I want to carbonate my brew. I'm curious to hear people's opinions on the subject. The cider in question is a 4 gallon batch of a cinnamon clove cider with 2 whole cinnamon sticks and 11 whole cloves with an ale yeast, if that helps. Thanks in advance for the help.

It is a matter of taste. Some prefer flat cider and some carbed. I liked it moderately carbed at about 2 volumes or less. Lately I drink more beer and less cider.

I definitely preferred carbonated. I'm getting good results with bottler fermentation, but there's sediment. I'm also always very paranoid about a bottle exploding...I'm probably no where near that level...it's just scary because I don't have enough experience I guess.

I greatly prefer carbonated cider. You might consider moving to a draft system. Not having to bottle is a big plus.

I like my cider carbed. You could easily bottle a couple bottles (or more) still & then carb the rest to do a side by side comparison; that's the absolute BEST way to find out which YOU like best.
Regards, GF.

Back