Carbonation Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanuswalrus

Reaction score
So I've done about 15 batches now, and I've been bottling all of them. The last couple batches have come out a bit under-carbed, or not carbed at all. I've been using the Brewers Friend Priming Calculator, so I'm fairly certain I'm adding the correct amount of priming sugar to my bottling bucket.

I'm wondering if the issue is with my bottles.. for the most part, I've been reusing the same few cases of bottles from batch to batch (cleaning and sanitizing them each time, of course). Is it possible that the bottles are being worn a little at the top from each time I crack one open or seal a fresh cap on?? I'm wondering if this possible slight wear and tear on the bottles is causing a leak in the bottle, leading to my lack of carbonation.

Initially, it seemed silly to me that glass bottles be "worn" at the top, but I just figured I'd ask and see if anyone else may have experienced this.

Thanks in advance for any insight on this subject!

It's been cold out recently, do they sit somewhere that they'd be cooler now than they were in previous batches? Try moving them somewhere warm for a few weeks.

I keep my bottled beer in the same room I keep my fermenters. I've been leaving the window slightly cracked in that room which keeps the temp between 65-69 degrees for the most part.

That's one thing I didn't think of though. I'll try moving them to another room and see if that helps. Thanks

Likely the bottles are not the problem. You did not state how long they have been conditioning. 3-4 weeks or more is not uncommon to get satisfactory carbonation. Moving to a warmer place (70-72F) will help. Lastly, when you are ready to try one, let it sit in the fridge at least 3-4 days before opening. This greatly helps the CO2 in the headspace of the bottle get absorbed into the beer. You mentioned using Brewers Friend calculator, what volume of CO2 are you calculating for?

I aimed for 2.4 I believe. And these were sitting in a room at a temp of 66-68 for about ten days. I have since moved them to a room that sits between 70-72.

I know, everyone recommends letting them sit and carb up for at least 2 weeks, but from my past experience, the best beer I ever made, in my opinion, was an IPA that I tried 6 days after bottling. Perfect carbonation, super fresh-tasting. Just a week later, at about 2 weeks after bottling, the hops had faded slightly and it did not taste quite as good as the bottle I had at the 6-day mark.

Been using the same bottles (while adding to my collection of course), but never replaced more than a handful of bottles so I don't THINK they get worn. We've got ABOUT the same number of batches under out belts. Just give 'em another week. I bet they'll come around...

I'm one of those who bottle-conditions at 70F for 3 weeks and then put in the fridge for another full week. I know that's a long time to wait when you are anxious to have your first beer. But if you still are under-carbed after doing this, at least then you know it's a leak or priming issue. If you have noticed each batch gradually getting less carbed, it could be something in the bottle or crown. Maybe try a new brand of crown? Or maybe your capper is wearing out? New capper? Do you twist each cap after you cap the bottle to see if there is any looseness/movement?

Back