Carbonation inthe keg/ theory and equipment practicality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamason_2000

Reaction score
Here is my rundown and question. I have keg, 2.5 gallon ball lock, no co2 regulator, I do have a 1.5 milicron air stone and a delivery method based upon the gas inlet and some braided wall beverage tubing I have located. Is it possible or am I asking to much (guessing)?

If you're going to keg, a CO2 regulator is a required piece of equipment.

Thanks for the info.....was tempted to guess my way through it. The last two times I kegged it came out crappy. As in no carbonation. Mind you I keg conditioned both batches. I think I might have a faulty seal. Gonna pressure test it tonight and see what may come.

Thanks for the info.....was tempted to guess my way through it. The last two times I kegged it came out crappy. As in no carbonation. Mind you I keg conditioned both batches. I think I might have a faulty seal. Gonna pressure test it tonight and see what may come.

Even if there is no leak, once you serve from the keg, you need co2 to replace the headspace that is created by the displacement of the beer. Otherwise, the beer will lose carbonation to the headspace and go flat.

You need a co2 tank of some sort, and a regulator. You get by with those "co2 chargers", those guns that give a blast to c02 to the keg to maintain enough pressure to serve, without losing carbonation, although that is a more expensive way to do it in the long run.

Back