Carbonation After Racking To Second?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveCS

Reaction score
Hi All,

About 10 days ago, I bottled my two 1 Gallon porter recipes (from primary, I racked and added vanilla while the other I racked and added coconut and rum) - I just opened one of my vanilla ones and there's minimal (very minimal) carbonation.

I know it's still "early" and the porter isn't a "heavy" or "robust" style, but is it possible that racking from primary (and not transferring any of the trub/yeast cake) into secondary meant that I just didn't have enough yeast to fully carb the brew? Or is this a case of "just wait and be patient"? :)

Curious and looking for input.

Cheers,
Dave

No, that's not the case. There is ALWAYS enough yeast in there unless you filter using something under a .5 micron filter.

What is important is the temperature (most people use "room temp" as the criteria, others do not), the amount of priming sugar you used and the length of time it takes to convert that sugar to CO2 to carbonate the bottles.

I'd give them more time. At least another week, maybe two.

Thanks Bill... I am the most impatient person when it comes to beer *LOL* - another week or two it shall be... that said.. it does taste pretty good now.... next time I brew this recipe though... I'm going to mash at a higher temp for more body.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks guys... out of curiosity, what's the reason for the lengthy refrigeration? I would assume it settles the yeast out of suspension but other than that. . . . . ?

Cheers,
Dave

Chilling achieves some notable things with higher gravity beers.

Colder temps will settle yeast. It also affects carbonation level as far as foam stand is concerned, as well as aroma and flavor perceptions. Proper chilling reduces the chance of foaming when uncapping bottles because the CO2 will diffuse into the liquid much easier. If you like seeing different characteristics of a higher gravity beer, just open a good stout at room temperature, observe and taste.

I particularly like Founders stout. It's a whole other beer at room temperature ... nice foam stand, smooth flavor and aroma, great taste. When it's cold, the carbonation bites, then the hops hit you after your tongue feels a consistency like cold motor oil.
Try it yourself. One beer can be perceived multiple ways at different serving temps.

I lived in Germany for 9 years. I know we Americans say everyone else drinks "warm" beer, but that's only relative to the ice cold brews here.

The beers of Europe taste fuller because you can actually taste the malts while the serving temperature is generally within a 10-15 degrees of difference.

Ice cold American beers just numb the tongue and mouth so you can't taste them.

There's a lot of truth in the old joke: "Why is American beer served ice cold?" So you don't confuse it with the urine sample.

Last edited:
Back