Carbonation after 1 week?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shizog4

Reaction score
Hey guys I made an Ahs fat tire clone, extract, bottled at 17 days.......wanted to try 1 so I refrigerated for 18 hours. Taste is still green, but carbonation was great, very nice pssst sound with low to medium/low head nice lacing........I used 4.5 oz sugar bc it was a kit......I didn't stir at priming but I poured half sugar in the half later to mix......with such great carbonation now should I be worried about bombs?

Not unless you didnt have a finished gravity and at 2.5 weeks its likely you did.Try refrigerating longer im curious as to weather age helps. 2 days of refrigerating seems to be the norm before drinking. But i like 4-5 days.A few more weeks and they should be good to go. I usually check 1 after 2 weeks with a 3 week primary assuming 70 deg bottle conditioning

I've had brews carbed up to be drinkable in a week before, however they weren't "fully" carbed. I usually start drinking a new batch within a week of bottling just because I'm not too patient, though I have had a few batches that did require the usual 2-3 weeks to carb too.

You should be fine, assuming that your processes were all good and you didn't rush things. I usually open a "test" bottle five days to a week after bottling, and it's normal to find them carbonated. What will happen over time (in addition to the taste maturing) is that the head retention will improve and the bubbles will get smaller and smaller.

Hey gents,

Made my first home brew. I used a hefferweizen malt extract. The instruction indicated 2 week to ferment ( I did 14 days as was away for the week until bottle day) 2 weeks in bottle (I did 6 days) once sugar solution added to carbonate the beer. I bottled on the Friday and next week I put 1 bottle in the fridge to chill for 2 hours and cracked one open ( after first few sips I put 2 more bottles in the fridge).

I am a keen and regular beer drinker and in all honesty I would say it’s 80-85% carbonated. So 6 days in the bottle for a hefferweizen under all the correct brewing procedures(mind you I used an ice bath as am only investing in a immersion wort chiller tomorrow) and the beer is delicious. “Green” some people call it, but I hear hefferweizens are quick to carbonate. Did my OG and FG. ABV is 4.78% and supposed to be 5.00% as my boil kettle was only using 10000btu burner so did not evaporate enough water.

Anyways my two pence. After 6 days conclusion is to crack open your Hefferweizen.

I live in Vancouver, Canada and temperatures have been 20-28degrees celcius “Who uses Fahrenheit anyways. Oh wait. The states”. But bottling temperature was 65F or 18 degrees Celsius.

After thought: Was not sure if the batch would work out:

I pitched the yeast at 78F. It cooled down to around 68-70F(16-18 Celsius) the ABV was still mint. Maybe 6-10% below expected. But hey. ABV ain’t everything. So I think if I was making a lager it might be different ( Lager drinkers pitch in on this point). I do not like Lagers at all so that’s a null point.

One thing I love about ales is the extremely fast turn around time. If you use S04 or S05,
you can sometimes, especially in the summer, go from grain to glass in a week. Three days of fermentation and four more after priming for a low gravity recipe, which of course is not the OP's example. Heavier brews can take longer, but S04 and S05 are very aggressive and fast conditioners. I doubt I will ever lager because of extra wait time involved. On the fence about lagering.

Really depends what the conditioning temp is. Where I live it's in the high 70's - low 80's room temp, so I get fully carbed bottles in a week. Though I get the best results if they're in the fridge for at least 3-4 more days before drinking em.

If you live in a cooler place though, it could take longer. I've heard on a few posts that +10F degrees over 'optimal' conditioning temps (I'm guessing optimal fermentation temps for that yeast?) double the rate of carbonation, but also age the beer faster.

Hey gents,

Made my first home brew. I used a hefferweizen malt extract. The instruction indicated 2 week to ferment ( I did 14 days as was away for the week until bottle day) 2 weeks in bottle (I did 6 days) once sugar solution added to carbonate the beer. I bottled on the Friday and next week I put 1 bottle in the fridge to chill for 2 hours and cracked one open ( after first few sips I put 2 more bottles in the fridge).

I am a keen and regular beer drinker and in all honesty I would say it’s 80-85% carbonated. So 6 days in the bottle for a hefferweizen under all the correct brewing procedures(mind you I used an ice bath as am only investing in a immersion wort chiller tomorrow) and the beer is delicious. “Green” some people call it, but I hear hefferweizens are quick to carbonate. Did my OG and FG. ABV is 4.78% and supposed to be 5.00% as my boil kettle was only using 10000btu burner so did not evaporate enough water.

Anyways my two pence. After 6 days conclusion is to crack open your Hefferweizen.

I live in Vancouver, Canada and temperatures have been 20-28degrees celcius “Who uses Fahrenheit anyways. Oh wait. The states”. But bottling temperature was 65F or 18 degrees Celsius.

Great relation of a successful brew! Not sure about the silly reference to F vs C, but I suppose scientific measurement and the preferred units are Brewers choice[emoji57]

My Carb in bottles are just fine with an overnight in the fridge. Mine is at 2 weeks check, 3 weeks done, 24hrs fridge, great carb. This holds true with as described, and for two month old. Conditioning in my case is 78ºF all I can afford in energy costs with A/C...

Back