Carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5WTFLYBUM

Reaction score
I bottled my cider after a month in primary and a month and a half in secondary. It measured 1.00 at bottling so I added two cans of AJC into about five gallons of cider. I bottled and bottled a test bottle. The test bottle, a 20 oz soda bottle, is tight to the point I can barely squeeze it. It was bottled on the 18th and it is the 21st. This seams a little soon to me. I had an inch of sediment in the primary and again in the secondary and it is not clear. As well when tasting it tasted like cheap wine, before the AJC went in. Should I be burying the bottle bombs:( or what do I do now?:confused:

Did you measure the gravity after adding primer? It would tell you what to expect.

Sent from my C5155 using Home Brew mobile app

Your very boredline with the bottle bombs. I'd pasterize if the pet bottle feels like a normal pop bottle... I'd use a 160-180 temp and not test the 190 temp range.

I did but I'm not sure how to read it.:eek: I can say it was one line past the 1.00.:D

I was going to cold crash.?

I don't drink enough soda to remember what it should feel like.

This is why I prefer carbonating via keg so much more. Pasteurize it and be safe while handling the bottles. If you think it's at a dangerous carbonation level, I'm not sure I would risk it. Maybe via dishwasher (for shield).

Day 3 is actually about the point I pasteurize all my ciders, actually just did this 2 days ago. I like to pasteurize all, or most of, the bottles at once in a cooler. Not only does it save you time but its a lot safer to do in a cooler because it will contain the blast should a bottle blow. Just don't let it go any longer or there will be too much carb built up to pasteurize and they'll turn into glass grenades.

160f for 15-20mins does the job great for me.

Day 3 is actually about the point I pasteurize all my ciders, actually just did this 2 days ago. I like to pasteurize all, or most of, the bottles at once in a cooler. Not only does it save you time but its a lot safer to do in a cooler because it will contain the blast should a bottle blow. Just don't let it go any longer or there will be too much carb built up to pasteurize and they'll turn into glass grenades.

160f for 15-20mins does the job great for me.

Which begs the question, what is the procedure for pasteurizing in a cooler?

Which begs the question, what is the procedure for pasteurizing in a cooler?

Put all the bottles in the cooler and add enough 175f water to come half way up the bottles. The cooler absorbs about 5 deg and the bottles another 10 or so. The idea is to make sure the bottles are sitting in 160f water so you may have to add a little hot/cold water to get it right.

Once the temp is right close the cooler and take em out 20 mins later and your done.

Might not go so well if bottles are cold and you pur 175deg water on them.
Just a thought, might want to get bottles at least room temp.

(thinking of non FL bottlers working in a garage or basement)

So too late to cold crash?? Cause I just got them in the fridge. Here at my local in N. Cal it is currently 73 degrees and the bottles are at ambient temp.

By keeping them in the fridge the yeast should go dormant but if the pressure in the bottle is already built up higher than the bottles can handle they can still blow up any moment.

Heating to pasteurize will only increase the pressure so the best thing is to leave them in the fridge, yes? I would say to start consuming them quickly would be good:tank: but they tasted like crap when I sampled at bottling. I am truly hoping that age will help. If not then I will try to mix with say Martinelli's sparkling and see if that helps.:confused:

Well none of it matters! Cut firewood all morning came in and thought that I would try one of my ice cold ciders. Woo Hoo! Finally!:D I cracked one open... no psst! Tasted... sweet cider... vinegar. CRAP! Worked on it since mid Oct. and all I get is vinegar.:(

Back