Carbonating with co2 and tasting the beer before its carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtus72

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just transfered my beer to my sanke about 5 hours ago and I didnt get to taste it before kegging. Can I draw a little off the tap to taste it or will this mess with my carbonating process?

I taste all of mine right after I keg. Just remember that after the keg cools and carbonates, the yeast will drop to the bottom whet the pickup tube is. You'll want to pull off a half a glass or so and discard it before serving off the tap unless you like pooping like a duck for a day.

Okay I will do that. The beer had no off flavors but was very bitter with a hot alcohol I fermented at 65 whole time but it is a 6.5% that is only 14 days old and I dry hopped with 2oz cascade 1oz simcoe dont get me wrong im an ipa freak but this is hardcore bitter I guess im just tasting young beer

The carbonation will also take some of the hop note out of it. It'll mellow out ad you'll have a great beer when it's ready.

Okay I will do that. The beer had no off flavors but was very bitter with a hot alcohol I fermented at 65 whole time but it is a 6.5% that is only 14 days old and I dry hopped with 2oz cascade 1oz simcoe dont get me wrong im an ipa freak but this is hardcore bitter I guess im just tasting young beer

If you just transferred to keg today then your not picking up any of the dry hop. Also like others have said you might have a yeastie pull which IMO makes its more bitter or acrid, the carbonation will add considerable mouthfeel as well.

EVERY SINGLE batch i have brewed always tasted its best from 4 weeks or longer in the bottles/keg (exceptions of COTC and wits) Let it do its thing if your dry-hoping in a fridge i would leave it for 10 days. I find that i get a lot less grassy off flavors at longer periods when "chill hoping"

I dry hopped for 2 half days unchilled and 2 half chilled and kegged today

2 half days...as in 1 day room temp 1 day chilled in keg?
Did you transfer to keg and dryhop or add dryhop from secondary to keg?
Did you remove the hops?

My bad i realize now, you mean 2.5 days? Ive had 1 to many tnite
5 days is somewhat short for a dry hop but i would still let it mellow for the next 2 weeks.

I find that regardless how aged in the fermenter the beer ism it still tastes better in the keg after a few weeks. Not to say I don't often force carb quick method. lol.

I cold filter through an 1m and .25m (absolute) professional beer cartridges. Got tired of waiting for certain yeast strains to clear.

Back