Carbonating keg with CO2 and bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
OK sort of a weird question but here's what happened. First time kegging and I was following the suggestions of mongoose in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/set-and-forget-carbing-and-temp.661277/

Note: this is a sanke keg with ball lock disconnect adapters installed on the coupling so I can connect/disconnect em quickly. But I set this up in the evening before bed and rushed a bit and wound up hooking up the gas line to the beer-out and vice versa. So when I went to carbonate I was pushing gas thru the beer-out line. It seemed to be working though since I could here it 'percolating' in the keg, little bubbling sounds, and once they stopped a gentle shake would make it bubble again. I went to test it this morning and realized my error so I reversed the connections and now it doesn't seem to do anything when I turn the gas on, no bubbling sounds at all. I sampled some beer and it's not sufficiently carbonated yet so it needs more time but I'm not sure where I'm at at this point and how to proceed.

After thinking about it I think I answered my own question. Clearly it must have carbonated some or it wouldn't be making that sound so even with the check valve in place it must allow CO2 in the beer-out. And the bubbling would be because it's travelling down that spear to the bottom and then percolating up the keg, hence the sound. When I swapped the lines to the correct config there's no bubbling because it's going in the top.

I'm not sure it matters which way you do it, it should carbonate wither way but one way may be quicker than the other I guess. Anyway, I just set it at my target pressure (12.5 PSI @ 45 F) which should be the lower end of what I want for carbonation, I figure if it needs more I can always add it, but it's going to be harder to go the other way.

How long does it take to come to full pressure?

After thinking about it I think I answered my own question. Clearly it must have carbonated some or it wouldn't be making that sound so even with the check valve in place it must allow CO2 in the beer-out. And the bubbling would be because it's travelling down that spear to the bottom and then percolating up the keg, hence the sound. When I swapped the lines to the correct config there's no bubbling because it's going in the top.

I'm not sure it matters which way you do it, it should carbonate wither way but one way may be quicker than the other I guess. Anyway, I just set it at my target pressure (12.5 PSI @ 45 F) which should be the lower end of what I want for carbonation, I figure if it needs more I can always add it, but it's going to be harder to go the other way.

How long does it take to come to full pressure?

I believe some people actually use the liquid side to carb initially as it's supposed to carb faster that way. Makes sense if you think about it, but I've never tried it. I just hook the CO2 to the gas line at serving pressure and forget about it. Usually ready in 10-14 days.

Either side will work, what matters is how much CO2 you get into solution. I usually hit it with about 30 psi and let it sit for a day or two, then hit it again. After 2 or 3 rounds, it goes into the fridge, keezer, what-have-you. Keep raising it up to 30 psi for 2-3 more days and you should be good to go

Back