Carbonating in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvend

Reaction score
Hi, I have issues carbonating, I would normally connect my co2 tank at the keg and leave it connected for a week at 30 psi then drop it down to 5psi to bottle or serve in a glass. Few hours ago someone told me that I should.follow the chart for a co2 volume of 2.70. The thing is that im supposed to serve the beer at the same pressure I carbonate that accordingly to the chart is 16psi at 4C but the picnic faucet that I use for bottling wont allow me to go above 5 psi or beer will start spilling all over my kitchen. What do i do?

There's a dispensing line length and diameter calculator out there somewhere. Basically you want to have enough resistance in your line to keep the co2 in suspension. I generally follow 2.5 volumes co2 in my beers, at 38°F. My lines aren't quite long enough so I do need to occasionally bleed pressure, then add co2 again, but this affects the beer only nominally. Peek around and you should find the calculator. Get the right diameter line and the right length and dispensing becomes a non issue. Good luck!

This for bottling also or is not nesessary for bottling?

Bottling will require you to turn your pressure down on the regulator. I have limited experience bottling from a keg, but you obviously want to avoid excessive foaming, though as I understand it, you do want to cap on foam, and that's the real trick: filling the bottle to the appropriate level, and allowing for just enough foam, so as to keep the beer properly carbonated.

Back