Carbonating in bottle with sugar cubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not saying it won't work, or that it shouldn't be done,
I kind of got the impression many of the antis were arguing that it wouldn't work and shouldn't be done.
but if it were as intuitive, ingenious, easy, and perfect as you're making it sound, wouldn't it be the chose method?
I don't think it's "perfect". I think it's got the same control and quality problems of carb tab carbing which is, by consensus, a less preferred method of batching.

"Ingenious" is an aesthetic statement. Clever and imaginative solutions appeal to me. Thats all. Haven't you ever wondered if you can steam scramble an egg with an espresso maker?

I think, in this case, the fact that most people batch carb and use a bottling bucket is evidence that it is probably proven to be the best method.
Batch carbing *is* the best method. I'm just saying that carb tabbing *works*. And this should work too.

I do find it odd how fervently you seem to be arguing the point having not tried it. Any time someone posts, you rush in to make your case.
I don't listen to myself post so I didn't realize how fervent I sounded. I'm a big proponent of letting individual brewers find their own way and experiment. I'm very empathetic to wanting to try something new or individual that works for one. The user asked if sugar cubing would work. Well, all indications indicate it would. And I'm empathetic to asking a question "I want to try something; will it work" and how discouraging an overwhelming response of "why bother; this way is better; do it my way" can be. The concern of sanitation is simply not an issue. The fact that batch priming is a better method is ... well, not irrelevent exactly as folks should be encouraged to do batch priming ... but a side issue. If a brewer for whatever reason feels wants to bottle prime (or brew small batches, or do HME, or make a BMC clone) I figure as long as there are no gross errors or misconceptions we should allow her or him to.

I'm sorry I sounded so fervent. I *do* like to play devil's advocate. Which I think is sometimes called for. I also have an affinity for the strange and bizarre yet logically sound.

I think I will try sugar cube method but it'll be a while. (My main concern would be weighing the sugar cubes and seeing if the come within a reasonable range for the beer). But like you, I'll continue to batch prime most often. I do think it's a better way; it has better control. (Although cleaning will be easier...)

Hi OP,

For what it's worth and as a complete novice myself (2nd batch just bottled) I mainly used the Coopers Carb drops on my 1st batch ( 1 & 1/2 drops per 500ml bottle), but randomly primed with a sugar cube in 10 of the bottles.
My 1st batch was a Coopers Wheat beer kit with 500g sugar replaced with 500g wheat spraymalt.

I've no idea if sugar cube sugar is different to the sugar used in the carb drops but the bottles primed with the drops have in my opinion got a dryer and more pleasant taste to the beer. They have also carbed up better. Perhaps there is more sugar in 1 & 1/2 carb drops than 1 cube.

But like I say I am a complete novice so don't rely on my thoughts alone !

I've only one FV and its easy.

Then do it.

Count out and weigh the sugar cubes. If the total comes out to roughly 1.1 oz (weight) per gallon of beer give or take 15% then you should be fine. (Check a priming sugar calculater for more accurate measures. But use the weight measures and *not* the volumes.)

I strongly do *not* recommend trying to batch prime in the original fermenter with all the trub. (Yuck!)

And a bottling bucket will probably be worth the investment eventually. (Then you won't have to "give or take 15%")

I kind of got the impression many of the antis were arguing that it wouldn't work and shouldn't be done.

I don't think it's "perfect". I think it's got the same control and quality problems of carb tab carbing which is, by consensus, a less preferred method of batching.

"Ingenious" is an aesthetic statement. Clever and imaginative solutions appeal to me. Thats all. Haven't you ever wondered if you can steam scramble an egg with an espresso maker?

Batch carbing *is* the best method. I'm just saying that carb tabbing *works*. And this should work too.

I don't listen to myself post so I didn't realize how fervent I sounded. I'm a big proponent of letting individual brewers find their own way and experiment. I'm very empathetic to wanting to try something new or individual that works for one. The user asked if sugar cubing would work. Well, all indications indicate it would. And I'm empathetic to asking a question "I want to try something; will it work" and how discouraging an overwhelming response of "why bother; this way is better; do it my way" can be. The concern of sanitation is simply not an issue. The fact that batch priming is a better method is ... well, not irrelevent exactly as folks should be encouraged to do batch priming ... but a side issue. If a brewer for whatever reason feels wants to bottle prime (or brew small batches, or do HME, or make a BMC clone) I figure as long as there are no gross errors or misconceptions we should allow her or him to.

I'm sorry I sounded so fervent. I *do* like to play devil's advocate. Which I think is sometimes called for. I also have an affinity for the strange and bizarre yet logically sound.

I think I will try sugar cube method but it'll be a while. (My main concern would be weighing the sugar cubes and seeing if the come within a reasonable range for the beer). But like you, I'll continue to batch prime most often. I do think it's a better way; it has better control. (Although cleaning will be easier...)

Ok, I think we're on the same page now. Clarity before agreement, although it seems we're pretty much in agreement.

OP, another question on your process. Since you have only one fermentation vessel, that means you're bottling using a racking cane, correct? There's certainly nothing wrong with it, but having done both methods (tabs, not sugar cubes), I found it easier to transfer to a bottling bucket, add dissolved sugar, and bottle with the spigot. Clean up is a breeze, just rinsing out the extra bucket, and my carbonation was much more consistent and targeted. Just thought I'd share my experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Ok, I think we're on the same page now. Clarity before agreement, although it seems we're pretty much in agreement.
:off: It's more of a philosophy disagreement. I think most people, myself included, tend to get a little smug when we gather a teensy bit of knowledge and are inclined to speak from gospel then address questions and I think we need to watch that. I tend to get a little knee-jerk about it. We have a tendency to dismiss bottle priming as amatuerish or something the "Mr. Beer crowd" would do. But how many of us *really* notice the difference or have really wrestled the argument down and how many just eagerly jumped into our positions because it let us wear grown-up pants. I have an impulse reaction to always play devils advocate because it forces us to examine our assumptions and clarify exactly what it is which each believe and understand. Plus I don't like brow-beating novices. I know none of us do it intentionally (I don't but I do do it; especially when it comes to taste and just how revolting BMC is). But it can really come across that way when you are a beginner.

My desire to be smug vs. my desire to "answer what is asked without judging" came into conflict on a "how do you brew zima" thread. I think Zima's a disgusting and vile concoction for the ignorant and gullible hordes of swine and no-one should brew this when there are so many other *good* things to brew.... but, judge not and the poster had asked for how to brew Zima and that's a legitimate question so I should be fair and see if it can be done ... (ew! ick! why? it's disgusting!... now, now, if the poster wants to brew zima then I should answer how to brew zima and not make discouraging and insulting comments .... which the poster damned well deserves for liking a disgust low-brow bunch exploitive crap like Zima... now, now...)... I did post some instructions and I *tried* to keep my snark out of it. But I'm afraid I came of as somewhat bi-polar. ("Here you go... if you *really* want to ... it should be doable and you'll get, well, *something* ... but *I'll* never do it 'cause it reminds me too much of Zima"):off:

OP, another question on your process. Since you have only one fermentation vessel, that means you're bottling using a racking cane, correct?
I assumed the fermenter had a spigot. Which *does* make bottle prime pretty easy. (And without a spigot pretty hard.)

:off: Going back to the argument of smugness and grown-up pants I use three Mr. Beer LBK (two for fermenting and one for bottling) and, if you are making small batches, they are *freakin' fantastic* for fermenting (unless you are making more than 2 gallons in which case they are utterly useless) despite making me feel like I'm riding a tricycle in the fast lane. Another reason I tend to knee-jerkedly support the bizarre, unpopular, and dis-approved methods; Mr. Beer is universally ridiculed. *I*'d like to ridicule it-- who the hell would buy something called "Mr. Beer"; my sister laughed hysterically when she saw it thinking it was the apex of tacky cheesiness-- but damn if it isn't elegance in functionality when you need some vessel to ferment 2 gallons of beer! :off:

There's certainly nothing wrong with it [racking cane and siphon], but having done both methods (tabs, not sugar cubes), I found it easier to ...

True. Siphoning is a *pain*. I understand an autosiphon makes it easier and I have gotten much better at it over time but it's still a pain.

Be careful buying sugar cubes. Some of them come in half teaspoon size. You may have to double to get proper carbonation. Just my $0.02.

Bill

Well, I tried sugar cubes. I'll test them on thanksgiving.

First thing... sugar cubes are too big to fit into the neck of the bottles. Had to shove 'em in.

Have to admit, not having to prime was kind of nice. Not a *huge* difference but kind of nice.

Back