Carbonating and pressure questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_dogg

Reaction score
I was wondering if carbonating is only required for home brewing or does all beer need to be carbonated after being tapped and the CO2 is only needed to push the beer. Also, if it isn't necessary to carbonate store bought kegs...would it be beneficial to use a secondary regulator instead of a manifold? I won't, if ever be kegging my own. It seems like everyone suggests 12-14psi. I wouldn't think 1-2 psi would make a huge impact. Is there a recommended PSI chart for different beers?
Thanks

A keg of commercial beer is already carbonated and you could put it on 12 to 14 psi at around 40 degrees to keep the carbonation level around the same. If you hook it up to 4 psi, it will push the carbonated beer out but it would eventually lose some carbonation (unless you drink it quickly, at a party for example).

A keg of commercial beer is already carbonated and you could put it on 12 to 14 psi at around 40 degrees to keep the carbonation level around the same. If you hook it up to 4 psi, it will push the carbonated beer out but it would eventually lose some carbonation (unless you drink it quickly, at a party for example).

Thanks for the response.
I am just wondering why I could want to hook it up to 4psi? Wouldn't I want to keep it at a constant psi to keep it carbonated? If I'm not carbonating my own brew, then should I just go with a manifold instead of a secondary regulator?
Thanks!

As far as reasons to hook it up to 4psi, I don't really know. It's gotta be better than the hand pump (air) method but I guess all it would do is save some gas.

I'm sure a manifold is all you need, as it doesn't sound like having two pressures at one time is going to be necessary for you. I have four kegs on tap and two more "conditioning" (waiting for an empty faucet) and they're all at 15psi. I have no real need for a secondary.

Is there a recommended PSI chart for different beers?

Check out this web page.
Use the list box to find the style of beer you want to carb and the range of carbonation levels will be provided.
Pick a level from the range and enter it in the next box.
Then set the checkbox for Kegging, enter your beer temperature, and click the Calculate! button.

Et voila! You have the recommended CO2 pressure for that style of beer at that beer temperature. It's a miracle! :D

Cheers!

Et voila! You have the recommended CO2 pressure for that style of beer at that beer temperature. It's a miracle! :D

Cheers!

Indeed it is a miracle! Thanks! That helps out a lot.

It seems like everything can be served at about the same PSI, but I don't know if I'd want my stout as bubbly as my wheat beer. I might just go with a secondary in the end...just for peace of mind...
Thanks

[...]It seems like everything can be served at about the same PSI, but I don't know if I'd want my stout as bubbly as my wheat beer. I might just go with a secondary in the end...just for peace of mind...
Thanks

fwiw, secondary regulators have a minimum pressure differential, typically around 5 psi. If you only have one primary regulator and you want to dispense two brews at different pressures (say that stout and wheat) you'll either need to add two secondary regulators, or a second primary, with the latter likely being the less expensive option. Otoh, if you want to dispense with three or more pressures, a bank of secondaries would likely be the cheapest way to go...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back