Carbonating a Berliner Weisse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kershner_Ale

Reaction score
I'm ready to keg my BW. After force carbonating, I'm thinking to around 4.5 volumes, I'd like to bottle several for competition entry. Any issues I need to be aware of if using regular brown beer bottles with a highly carbonated beer, as long as they're stored and kept cold? I'd rather not use what limited Belgian style bottles I have if submitting for a competition.

I've bottle conditioned up to 3 volumes in regular brown bottles before, but don't dare push my luck much higher for bottle conditioning. Just thinking as long as the beer and bottles are kept cold there won't be any issues but didn't want to overlook something.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'd be worried because those bottles aren't made for that much pressure. Whether or not they're bottle conditioned I think it would still be a problem. I'd keep it under 4 vols, probably 3.5 if it was me.

Right, I knew the bottles aren't rated for that pressure. Was just thinking if I kept them cold the CO2 would stay in solution and not be an issue for the glass. But get them warm and shake them - watch out! But maybe my physics logic is flawed. How do folks properly carbonate their BWs appropriate for style for competitions?

Champagne bottles. I've just bottled my first Berliner weisse, but I use champagne bottles for brett beers and saisons, which I like highly carbed. Even a highly carbed beer is less than champagne priming rates.

Right, I knew the bottles aren't rated for that pressure. Was just thinking if I kept them cold the CO2 would stay in solution and not be an issue for the glass. But get them warm and shake them - watch out! But maybe my physics logic is flawed. How do folks properly carbonate their BWs appropriate for style for competitions?

Even if it is there is a good chance the competition won't keep the beer super cold. It could warm some in a small cooler waiting to be judged at the end of the flight. Please keep this in mind. Don't want exploding bottles in judges faces. Just something to consider. Please use the thick belgian style bottles. 330 mL cork and wire I think. Or carb to 3 volumes.

You really don't need to carb to 4.5. Bottles will probably gush at that and gushing is never good for scores. That said, plain 12 oz bottles are fine to bottle condition at 3.5 so I don't think there is any reason you shouldn't be able to put beer forced carbed to 4.5 volumes in.

I thought that my highly carbed brett beers and saisons would gush, but they don't, they "pop" like champagne but don't gush, they pour fine. I prime with 8g per litre in a 750ml champagne bottle.

I thought that my highly carbed brett beers and saisons would gush, but they don't, they "pop" like champagne but don't gush, they pour fine. I prime with 8g per litre in a 750ml champagne bottle.

8g/L is probably under 3.5 volumes depending on your fermentation temperature.

Really? Learn something new every day :). The beers I've primed at that level have all been highly carbed and as I mentioned "popped" quite impressively when opened ( get the smoke oozing out of the top ). Good to know though, I've been using the sleeves of an old wetsuit as "insurance" when handing out to others.

I think I'd be scared/hesitant to go any higher than that amount of carb, even though I know the bottles can handle it.

Cheers

Back