Carbonated or Still Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevraz

Reaction score
I have my first 5 gallon batch of apple cider that is ready for bottling. I am trying to decide if I should carbonate it or leave it still. If it is left still will it need to be stored cold so that it will not spoil? How long will it be good if it is carbonated and stored warm? Thanks for any comments.

It's all a matter of personal preference. I like my higher ABV ciders with very little carbonation if any and my session ciders carb'd around 2.5 vols. They will probably last years and years in the bottle if it's corked or capped properly. Even longer if you add a little campden to stave off oxidation. I've found that on my beers, the standard bottle caps start to allow oxidation after a year or so. (of course I just used the standard cheap-o caps from the LHBS) I don't do much bottling any longer though. They won't spoil so you can keep them in the fridge or in a cool dark space.

Good luck on keeping cider for more than I year...I can't seem to keep them longer than a month. Congrats on your first batch. ;) Happy New Year.

Latest posts

Back