carbon steel fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fadedgiant04

Reaction score
so I am having issues finding carbon steel(mild steel) fittings. I and looking for 1/2" NPT full or half couplers, or 1/2" NPT female tees. I can't find anything other than black steel on mcmaster. i found a couple website overseas selling them with 10 ton minimums, and the ones listed on ebay and amazon look great at first glance, but when traced back to the manufacturer catalog(Eaton) they are listed as stainless.

I am looking at making a brutus style gas beam on a mild steel frame.

Please help

Is black not carbon/mild? I always thought it was?????

What about gas pipe and fittings from hd, lowes or plumbing supply? I'm not sure what your trying to get?

That is what I will do if I can't find what I want. The stuff at hd is black iron. I could do a external gas beam like that, but I want to use the back lower structural beam as an integrated gas beam like in the brutus 10

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So I need something with weldability to a500 steel. I could do a bimetallic weld with a 304 stainless tee using a 309l rod, but I can't mix work( us navy) and play. So I am restricted to fcaw instead of the usual gtaw

With HD type store I would not take for a fact what is labeled as iron to be Iron. From what I have read it can be a throughback from differentiating between black and Galv. pipe. If the fittings are threaded I would expect it to be steel not iron.
Is the only reason for flux core because you can't use the work shop? That sucks!

At first look it doesn't look like it. But I will ask one of my welding instructors in the morning.

Back